Tips for ensuring a hassle-free break.
In an effort to promote our green campus initiatives and protect Adelphi equipment, we have some suggestions for saving energy and ensuring security.
Before leaving campus for any extended break:
- Set your vacation rule in Gmail .
- Update your voicemail message.
- Back up your important data that is on your (C:) drive onto your (H:) drive or to Google Drive.
- Please turn off all computers, monitors, printers, scanners, copiers, peripherals, and other electrical appliances that are not needed during the break.
- Store your laptop(s) securely and out of sight.
- Lock your office door(s) and turn off the lights.
- Fax machines may be left on during the break, since fax transmissions aren’t always queued for later delivery.
Advice for using your computer at home:
- Keep your antivirus program current. If you do not have an antivirus program, antivirus protection tools are available at it.adelphi.edu/catalog/downloads.
- Run Windows Update regularly. We advise you to accept all of the updates the Microsoft site suggests.
- Delete obvious phishing messages without opening any attachments or clicking any links. Find good info on phishing scams.
- Remember that downloading copyrighted materials is illegal and could result in large monetary fines. Get your music, movies, and games from legitimate sources. Review Information Security policies at it.adelphi.edu/policies.
When you return to work:
- If you encounter problems with your equipment when you return from the break, the Help Desk is ready to assist you. Before calling, please verify that the printers and other technology devices that had been powered off during the break have been turned back on.
Moving office equipment:
- Inform the Help Desk at ext. 3340 of any phone and or computer equipment that needs to be moved.
- Please do not move equipment yourself. Involving IT will not only prevent damage to equipment but will help us maintain an accurate inventory.
Thank you for helping to conserve energy and secure university equipment. Enjoy the break have a wonderful new year. If you have any questions, please contact the Help Desk for assistance.
For further information, please contact:
Strategic Communications Director
p – 516.237.8634
e – email@example.com