Dear Students and Families,
As we approach the Spring 2021 semester at Adelphi, we recognize that our students and families are anxious to plan ahead. We are monitoring all the latest information from our health and government officials and will continue to provide you with the most current instructions, as they evolve.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo recently revised the testing and quarantine requirements for people entering New York state. They impact anyone coming to New York from every U.S. state other than its border states of New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Vermont and from every CDC Level 2 or 3 country.
According to the new guidelines, if you are returning to New York from a travel advisory state or country, you must satisfy the following steps:
- Have a negative COVID-19 test result from a test taken at home within 72 hours of your planned arrival in New York.*
- Quarantine for at least three days upon arrival in New York.
- Take another COVID-19 test on your fourth day of quarantine—a negative result will allow you to leave quarantine.
* If you do not have a negative COVID-19 test result from within 72 hours prior to arriving in New York, a full 14-day quarantine will be required per state orders. We recommend keeping a copy of these results on hand in case you are questioned by New York state (NYS) officials. You are required to submit a negative COVID-19 result before you are permitted to quarantine or live in Adelphi residence halls.
With these guidelines in place, I am happy to share detailed information for planning your return to your Adelphi residence hall in January.
Resident students from all travel advisory states and countries:
You are subject to current NYS testing and quarantine guidelines, requiring your early arrival before classes begin on January 26, 2021. Once you complete the requirements for testing and quarantine, you will be able to move into your residence hall room by appointment and your spring meal plan will be activated.
To accommodate your safe return and four-day quarantine, Adelphi is offering two move-in windows and three quarantine options.
You may request one of two early quarantine move-in periods based on availability. Please email the Office of Residential Life and Housing (email@example.com) with your preferred early quarantine session by Tuesday, December 8, 2020.
- Early Quarantine Session 1: You can arrive on January 5, 6 or 7, 2021, to begin your quarantine.
- Early Quarantine Session 2: You can arrive on January 13, 14 or 15, 2021, to begin your quarantine.
You must submit proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of your planned return date to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Based on availability, you can complete your quarantine in one of three ways:
- On campus at University cost (limited rooms available). Your four days will be completed in a residence hall quarantine room. You will be able to order three daily meals from Adelphi Dining Services to be delivered to your room. Your day-four COVID-19 test will be coordinated by Adelphi’s Health Services Center.
- Off campus at University cost. Your four days will be completed in a reserved room at the Long Island Marriott in Uniondale. You will have a daily allotment of $50 to order food that will be delivered to your room. If needed, a Panther Shuttle will bring you back to campus when quarantine is completed. Your day-four COVID-19 test will be coordinated by Adelphi’s Health Services Center.
- Off campus with friends or family in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or Vermont at your own expense.
- Please email the Office of Residential Life and Housing (email@example.com) by Tuesday, December 8, 2020, to confirm you do not require Adelphi quarantine accommodations. Please provide the address where you will be staying.
- You are responsible for meeting any other state’s requirements for entering, testing and quarantine.
- A negative COVID-19 test at the end of your quarantine period is required to move into your residence hall. Results should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In order to move into your residence hall before classes begin on January 26, 2021, please complete these steps by Friday, January 22, 2021.
Resident students arriving from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Vermont and Level 1 countries:
- You are not required to quarantine upon arrival at Adelphi. You will move directly into your residence hall room on your assigned move-in day.
- The Office of Housing and Residential Life will be in touch to arrange your move-in appointment for a day and time between Friday, January 22, and Monday, January 25, 2021.
- As part of our Master Restart Plan, all resident students (regardless of home location) must submit a COVID-19 test from within 72 hours of moving in to email@example.com. Please do not arrive on campus without completing this step.
How will required COVID-19 testing be conducted?
- We encourage you to get a rapid COVID-19 test in your home state or country within 72 hours of departure for New York. Many areas now offer these tests free of charge. You must submit your negative result to firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE arriving in New York.
- If your location does not provide rapid COVID-19 tests, please email email@example.com to request a Vault Health test, paid for and coordinated by Adelphi (must provide a domestic address for shipping).
- Students who quarantine on campus or at the arranged hotel will have their day-four COVID-19 test coordinated by Adelphi’s Office of Health and Wellness.
- Students who quarantine with friends or family must coordinate their own day-four COVID-19 rapid test and submit a negative result to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A family member who plans to enter New York is also subject to all state testing and quarantine requirements.
Once you successfully complete any required quarantine and provide Adelphi with a negative COVID-19 test, you will be able to move into your Adelphi residence hall room.
Period of Limited Campus Operation
As you know, our academic calendar includes plans to complete the remainder of the Fall 2020 semester remotely, beginning immediately after Thanksgiving.
The University will have limited operations between November 25, 2020, and January 26, 2021, when our spring semester begins. While we remain committed to keeping our community safe and supported, this will be a quiet period on our Garden City campus.
Our procedures are consistent with the University’s Master Restart Plan and rooted in the orders, guidelines and best practices of the New York State Department of Health to help protect our entire campus community.
Similar to our Fall 2020 semester, all Adelphi COVID-19 policies and procedures will remain in effect in Spring 2021, including:
- All residential students will continue to be included in our ongoing monitoring program and tested every two weeks during the spring semester.
- Daily health monitoring on the AU2GO app
- Distancing, hygiene and mask protocols
For more information or assistance:
- This information is housed in the Spring 2021 FAQs section of our campus restart website. Please feel free to check the website frequently for updates.
- If you have questions for our residential life and housing team, please email email@example.com.
- If you have questions about New York state and Adelphi quarantine requirements, travel restrictions on your state or country, or COVID-19 testing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for working closely with us and supporting our goal to keep you and our entire Adelphi community safe and healthy.
Director, Office of Residential Life and Housing