We congratulate faculty who have received prestigious awards or promotions —and say goodbye to beloved retiring professors.
We are proud to acknowledge the awards some of our prestigious faculty have received recently, happy to announce the promotion of some within our ranks, and sad to bid a fond adieu to a few who are leaving us.
Associate Professor David Machlis, PhD, in honor of his international efforts to educate people about the Holocaust and to combat prejudice and hatred for a more just and tolerant world, received the inaugural President’s Humanitarian Award at the 21st Annual President’s Gala. Dr. Machlis is the first faculty member to be honored at the Gala in the University’s history.
Arthur Leibowitz, clinical associate professor of accounting and law, is the recipient of the Robert B. Willumstad School of Business’s Outstanding Faculty Advising Award. This annual award recognizes faculty members for their exemplary contributions in helping undergraduate students define and achieve their academic goals.
Pamela Buckle, PhD, MA ’13, and Soon Ryoo, PhD, have been promoted to the rank of professor of management and professor of economics, respectively. Fan Liu, PhD, has been awarded tenure with promotion to the rank of associate professor of marketing.
A tip of the hat is also due to the Willumstad School’s 2021 Executive in Residence, Stephen Davy, former managing director and chief information officer at Société Générale. Davy was a key contributor to the Elizabeth and Allen Don Center for Innovative Technology and Decision Sciences events and supported the School in a variety of other ways, both in and out of the classroom.
Congratulations to the 2021 Bender Award for Outstanding Body of Work winner, Murat Sakir Erogul, PhD, associate professor of management, in recognition of his sustained record of high-quality scholarly works published during 2018, 2019 and 2020.
And congratulations to the following 2021 Bender Best Paper Award winners:
- Huajing Hu, PhD, associate professor of finance and economics, “Anchoring on Historical High Prices and Seasoned Equity Offerings,” published in Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, September 17, 2019
- HyunJun Na, PhD, assistant professor of finance and economics, “Proprietary information and the cost of bank debt,” published in International Journal of Managerial Finance, July 7, 2020
- Zahra Sedighi Maman, PhD, assistant professor of decision sciences and marketing, “A data analytic framework for physical fatigue management using wearable sensors,” published in Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 155, October 1, 2020
- Fan Liu, PhD, associate professor of decision sciences and marketing, and Zachary Johnson, PhD, interim associate dean for undergraduate students, “Nonmonetary and nonreciprocal freecycling: Motivations for participating in online alternative giving communities,” published in Journal of Consumer Behaviour, February 13, 2020
- Robert Goldberg, clinical associate professor of finance and economics, and Mariano Torras, PhD, professor and chair of finance and economics, “Managing Climate Change: The Case for a Climate Security Fund,” published in Journal of Managerial Issues, vol. 32, issue 2, Summer 2020
Lastly, we offer the best of wishes to the following faculty, who are leaving us in the fall semester, and thank them for their efforts and dedication.
- Jack Angel, associate professor of accounting and law since 1981
- Anthony Libertella, dean (2000–2008, 2013–2015) and professor of management since 2000
- David Prottas, PhD, associate professor of management since 2005
- Simon Yang, PhD, associate professor of accounting and law since 2000
- Neil Halloran, director of internships and adjunct faculty member since 2008