Learn about the accomplishments of Derner Institute Faculty.
Publications and Presentations:
- Atherton, B. D., Nevels, R. M., & Moore, M. T. (in press). Predicting symptoms of depression
from social anhedonia and emotion regulation. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease.
- Barber, J. P., & Sharpless, B. A. (2015). On the future of psychodynamic therapy research.
- Bell, R. P., Foxe, J. J., Ross, L. A., & Garavan, H. (2014). Intact inhibitory control processes in
abstinent drug abusers (I): A functional neuroimaging study in former cocaine addicts.
Neuropharmacology, 82, 143-150.
- Boccio, D. E., Karch, K., Grauna, M., Chuah, M., Cami, A., & Banilevy, M. (2014). Helping
students survive the college years: Suicide prevention and intervention efforts at
institutions of higher education. Poster presented at the 47th Annual Conference of the
American Association of Suicidology, Los Angeles, CA.
- Boccio, D. E., Leibowitz, A., & Stern, G. (2014). Explaining administrative pressure to
practice unethically. Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the National
Association of School Psychologists, Washington, DC.
- Boccio, D. E., & Macari, A. M. (2014). Workplace as safe haven: How managers can
mitigate risk for employee suicide. Journal of Workplace Behavioral Health, 29(1), 32-54.
- Bornstein, R. F. (2015). From surface to depth: Toward a more psychodynamically
informed DSM-6. Psychoanalytic Inquiry, 35, 45-59.
- Bornstein, R. F., & Huprich, S. K. (2015). Toward an empirically informed 21st century
psychoanalysis: Challenges and opportunities. Psychoanalytic Inquiry, 35, 2-4.
- Brumariu, L. E., & Kerns, K. A. (in press). Mother-child emotion communication and
childhood anxiety symptoms. Cognition and Emotion.
- Caligor, E., Roose, S., Hilsenroth, M., & Rutherford, B. (2015). Developing a protocol
design for an outcome study of psychoanalysis. Psychoanalytic Inquiry, 35, 150-168.
- Castonguay, L. G., Eubanks, C. F., Goldfried, M. R., Muran, J. C., & Lutz, W. (in press).
Research in psychotherapy integration: Building on the past, looking to the future.
- Castonguay, L. G., & Muran, J. C. (2015). Fostering collaboration between researchers and
clinicians through building practice-oriented research: An introduction. Psychotherapy
Research, 25(1), 1-5.
- Castonguay, L. G., Youn, S. J., Xiao, H., Muran, J. C., & Barber, J. P. (2015). Building
clinicians-researchers partnerships: Lessons from diverse natural settings and practice oriented initiatives. Psychotherapy Research, 25(1), 166-184.
- Chin, J. L., & Trimble, J. (2014). Diversity and leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Chin, J. L., Yee, B. W. K., & Banks, M. E. (2014). Women’s health and behavioral health
issues in health care reform. Journal of Social Work in Disability & Rehabilitation, 13(1-2),
- Conway, F. (2014). Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Integration of cognitive,
neuropsychological and psychodynamic theoretical perspectives in psychotherapy. New
- Conway, F. (2014, July). Psychodynamic psychotherapy treatment of children diagnosed
with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Presented at the Sigmund Freud Institute,
- Conway, F. (2014, July). Socio-emotional selectivity theory reconsidered. Presented at the
German Centre of Gerontology, Berlin, Germany.
- Coyle, K., & Fiori, K. L. (2014). The relationship between Facebook use and emotional wellbeing
as moderated by interpersonal relatedness among college students. Presented at
the 2014 Meeting of the National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Lexington, KY.
- Daisy, N., & Hien, D. A. (2014). The role of dissociation in the cycle of violence. Journal of
- de la Fontaine, N., & Szymanski, K. (2014). Battling with history: Collective memory in the
war narratives of Israeli soldiers. In O’Loughlin, M. (Eds.), The ethics of remembering and
the consequences of forgetting: Essays on trauma, history, and memory (pp. 289-308).
London: Rowman and Littlefield.
- DeFife, J., Hilsenroth, M., & Kuutmann, K. (in press). Beyond transference: Fostering
growth through therapeutic immediacy. In Luyten, P., Mayes, L. C., Fonagy, P., Target, M., &
Blatt, S. J. (Eds.), Handbook of contemporary psychodynamic approaches to
psychopathology. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- DelBene, V. A., Ross, L. A., Weitkamp, M., Woo, Y. J., Andreade, G. A., Molholm, S.,
Abrahams, B., & Foxe, J. J. (2015). Association between autism-associated polymorphism
in CNTNAP2 and caudate nucleus volume in healthy adults. Presented at the meeting of
the International Neuropsychological Society, Denver, CO.
- DeRose, L. M., Shiyko, M., Levey, S., Helm, J., & Hastings, P. D. (2014). Early maternal
depression and social skills in adolescence: A marginal structural modeling approach.
Social Development, 23(4), 753-769.
- Dinger, U., Barrett, M. S., Zimmermann, J., Schauenburg, H., Wright, A. G., Renner, F.,
Zilcha-Mano, S., McCarthy, K. S., & Barber, J. P. (2015). Interpersonal problems,
dependency and self-criticism in major depressive disorder. Journal of Clinical
Psychology, 71(1), 93-104.
- Durham, J. I., & Conway, F. (2014). Shame as an accelerator for the cycle of underachievement of
African American latency-age boys. The Psychology of Black Boys and Adolescents [2 volumes],
- Emmert-Aronson, B. O., Moore, M. T., & Brown, T. A. (2014). Differential item functioning of the
symptoms of major depression by race and ethnicity: An item response theory analysis. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 36(3), 424-431.
- Eubanks-Carter, C. F., Muran, J. C., & Safran, J. D. (2014). Alliance-focused training. Psychotherapy. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0037596
- Eubanks-Carter, C. F., Muran, J. C., & Safran, J. D. (2014). Rupture Resolution Rating System
- Feigelman, W., Rosen, Z., & Gorman, B. (2014). Exploring prospective predictors of
completed suicides: Evidence from the general social survey. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis
Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 35(4), 233-244.
- Fiori, K. L., & Rauer, A. (2014). Two can be as bad as one: Marital quality, loneliness, and
mental health in older adulthood. Presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the
Gerontological Society of America, Washington, D.C.
- Foxe, J. J., Molholm, S., Del Bene, V. A., Frey, H. P., Russo, N. N., Blanco, D., Saint-Amour, D.,
& Ross, L. A. (2015). Severe multisensory speech integration deficits in high-functioning
school-aged children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and their resolution during
early adolescence. Cerebral Cortex, 25(2), 298-312.
- Fresco, D. M., Mennin, D. S., Moore, M. T., Heimberg, R. G., & Hambrick, J. (2014). Changes
in explanatory flexibility among individuals with generalized anxiety disorder in an
emotion evocation challenge. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 38(4), 416-427.
- Fuertes, J. N. (2014, November). Measuring and understanding countertransference in
psychotherapy. Seminar presented at Baruch College Counseling Center, New York, NY.
- Fuertes, J. N., Brady-Amoon, P., Thind, N., & Chang, T. (2015). The therapy relationship in
multicultural psychotherapy. Psychotherapy Bulletin of Division 29 of the American
- Fuertes, J. N., Ganley, J., Depowski, H., Bhatia, A. (2014). The real relationship in
psychotherapy and its association with attachment and therapist self-disclosure. Presented
at the 45th International Annual Meeting of the Society for Psychotherapy Research.
- Fuertes, J. N., Gelso, C. J., Owen, J. J., & Cheng, D. (in press). Using the inventory of
countertransference behavior as an observer-rated measure. Psychoanalytic
- Gold, J. (2014). Implications of psychotherapy integration for psychodynamic and
acceptance-and mindfulness based approaches. In Stewart, J. (Ed.), Mindfulness,
acceptance, and the psychodynamic evolution (pp. 19-38). Oakland, CA: Context Press.
- Gold, J. (2014). The Role of Mindfulness and Acceptance within Assimilative
Psychodynamic Psychotherapy. In Stewart, J. (Ed.), Mindfulness, acceptance, and the
psychodynamic evolution (pp. 151-168). Oakland, CA: Context Press.
- Gold, S., Hilsenroth, M. J., Kuutmann, K., & Owen, J. (in press). Therapeutic alliance in the
personal therapy of graduate clinicians: Relationship to the alliance and outcomes of their
patients. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy.
- Hilsenroth, M. J., Kivlighan, D., & Slavin-Mulford, J. (in press). Structured supervision of
graduate clinicians in psychodynamic psychotherapy: Alliance and technique. Journal of
- Holliday, B., Daniel, J., Rollock, D., Bond, M., Ferdman, B., & Chin, J. L. (2015, January).
Issues and strategic practices for promoting diversity in organizations. Presented at the
National Multicultural Conference and Summit, Atlanta, GA.
- Huprich, S. K., & Bornstein, R. F. (2015). Behind closed doors: Sadomasochistic
enactments in psychoanalytic research. Psychoanalytic Inquiry, 35, 185-195.
- Huprich, S. K., McWilliams, N., Lingiardi, V., Bornstein, R. F., Gazzillo, F., & Gordon, R. M.
(2015). The Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual (PDM) and PDM-2: Opportunities to
significantly affect the profession. Psychoanalytic Inquiry, 35, 60-73.
- Josephs, L. (2015, February 24). When the best sex is extramarital [The opinion pages].
The New York Times. Retrieved from doi: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/
- Josephs, L. (2014). Review of Absolute truth and unbearable psychic pain: Psychoanalytic
perspectives on concrete experience. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 31(3), 452-457.
- Josephs, L. (2015). Review of Traumatic narcissism: Relational systems of subjugation.
Psychoanalytic Psychology, 32(1), 221-227.
- Kerns, K. A., & Brumariu, L. E. (2014). Is insecure parent-child attachment a risk factor for
the development of anxiety in childhood or adolescence? Child Development Perspectives, 8(1), 12-17.
- Kim, J. K., Ross, L. A., Molholm, S., & Foxe, J. J. (2014). Predicting the audiovisual cortical
network for perception of speech in noise. Presented at the Meeting of the Organization
for Human Brain Mapping, Hamburg, Germany.
- Lingiardi, V., McWilliams, N., Bornstein, R. F., Gazzillo, F., & Gordon, R. M. (2015). The
Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual, Version 2 (PDM-2): Assessing patients for improved
clinical practice and research. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 32, 94-115.
- Lombardi, K. (2014, July). Passion, desire, perversion: Love and death in psychoanalysis.
Paper presented at the Seventh Joint International Conference, Florence, Italy.
- Lombardi, K. (in press). The new ties that bind: Helicopter parenting in the culture of postmodernism. In Voela, A., & Garrett, R. (Eds.), We need to talk about family: Essays on the
family, (popular) culture and neo-liberalism. London: Rowman and Littlefield.
- McCarthy, K. S., Keefe, R. J., & Barber, J. P. (2015). Goldilocks on the couch: Moderate
levels of psychodynamic and process-experiential technique predict outcome in
psychodynamic therapy. Psychotherapy Research.
- McClure, M. J. (2014, July). Speed-dating: Questions, methods, and analyses. Workshop
presented at the Nickola Overall Relationship and Interpersonal Processes Lab, School of
Psychology, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
- McClure, M. J., & Lydon, J. E. (2014). Anxiety doesn’t become you: How attachment
anxiety compromises relational opportunities. Journal of Personality and Social
Psychology, 106, 89-111.
- McClure, M. J., & Lydon, J. E. (2014). Attachment anxiety compromises relational
opportunities via problematic displays and behavior. Presented at the International
Association for Relationships Research Biennial Research Conference, Melbourne,
- McClure, M. J., Xu, J. H., Craw, J. P., Lane, S. P., Bolger, N., & Shrout, P. E. (2014).
Understanding the costs of support transactions in daily life. Journal of Personality, 82(6),
- McHugh, K. R., Hu, M., Campbell, A. N., Hilario, E. Y., Weiss, R. D., & Hien, D. A. (2014).
Changes in sleep disruption in the treatment of co-occurring posttraumatic stress disorder
and substance use disorders. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.
- Mohr, J., Fuertes, J. N., Stracuzzi, T. I. (in press). Transference and insight in psychotherapy
with gay and bisexual male clients: The role of sexual orientation identity integration.
- Moore, M. T., Anderson, N. L., Barnes, J. M., Haigh, E. A. P., & Fresco, D. M. (2014). Using
the GAD-Q-IV to identify Generalized Anxiety Disorder in psychiatric treatment seeking
and primary care medical samples. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 28(1), 25-30.
- Moore, M. T., & Brown, T. A. (in press). Diagnostic classification of anxiety and mood
disorders. In Uhde, T. (Ed.), Therapeutic strategies in anxiety and depression.
- Moore, M. T., Fresco, D. M., Segal, Z. V., & Brown, T. A. (2014). Factor analysis of the
Dysfunctional Attitude Scale (DAS) in a treatment-seeking sample. Assessment, 21,
- Morgan-Lopez, A. A., Saavedra, L. M., Hien, D. A., Campbell, A. N., Wu, E., Ruglass, L.,
Patock-Peckham, J. A., & Bainter, S. C. (2014). Indirect effects of seeking safety on
substance use outcomes: Overall and attendance class-specific effects. American Journal
- Muran, J. C. (2014, September). Research on the impact of alliance-focused training on
psychotherapy process and outcome with a personality disordered sample. Society for
Psychotherapy Research, Italian Group, Plenary Presentation, Padua, Italy.
- Najavits, L. M., & Hien, D. A. (2014). Helping vulnerable populations: A comprehensive
review of the treatment outcome literature on substance use disorders and PTSD. Journal
of Clinical Psychology: In Session, 69(5).
- Newirth, J. (in preparation). From sign to symbol: Transformational processes in
psychoanalysis, psychotherapy and psychology. MD: Roman and Littlefield.
- Newirth, J. (2015). A Kleinian perspective on dissociation and trauma: Miscarriages in
symbolization. In Howell, E., & Itskowitz, S. (Eds.), The dissociative mind in psychoanalysis.
New York, NY: Taylor and Francis.
- Obsuth, I., Hennighausen, K., Brumariu, L. E., & Lyons-Ruth, K. (2014). Disorganized
behavior in adolescent-parent interaction: Relations to attachment state of mind, partner
abuse, and psychopathology. Child Development, 85(1), 370-387.
- O’Loughlin, M. (2014, August). Teachers’ pedagogical practices in working with aboriginal
communities. Presented at Caring: Gunawirra Seminar for Preschool Teachers and
Workers from Aboriginal Communities, Sydney, Australia.
- O’Loughlin, M. (2014, November). Closing the gap: Narrating the prose of severe
psychiatric suffering. Presented at Serious Mental Illness Concentration, Clinical
Psychology Doctoral Program, Long Island University – C.W. Post Campus, Old Brookville,
- O’Loughlin, M. (2015, February). The problem of intergenerational repetition in the
reproduction of family conflict across generations. Presented at the Adelphi University
Forum on Building a Culture of Peace, New York, NY.
- O’Loughlin, M. (Ed.). (2015). The ethics of remembering and the consequences of
forgetting: Essays on trauma, history, and memory. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- O’Loughlin, M., & Charles, M. (Eds.). (2015). Fragments of trauma and the social
production of suffering: Trauma, history, and memory. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Ruglass, L. M., Hien, D. A., Hu, M., & Campbell, A. N. (2014). Associations between PTSD
symptoms and stimulant use: A secondary analysis of NIDA’s women and trauma study.
American Journal on Addictions.
- Rumley, S., & Springer, C. M. (2014, September). Queens: An overview for identifying
underserved regions with perinatal service gap needs. Presented at Advisory Board
Meeting, Queens Healthy Babies are Worth the Wait Community Program, Queens, NY.
- Safran, J. D., Muran, J. C., & Shaker, A. (2014). Research on therapeutic impasses and
ruptures in the therapeutic alliance. Contemporary Psychoanalysis, 50(1-2), 211-232.
- Sanders, A., Szymanski, K., & Fiori, K. (2014). The family roles of siblings of people
diagnosed with a mental disorder: Heroes and lost children. International Journal of
Psychology, 49(4), 257-262.
- Sapountzis, I. (2014). Failure to understand as a transitional experience. In Willock, B.,
Bohm, L. C., & Curtis, R. C. (Eds.), Failure: Psychoanalytic explorations. London, UK:
- Sapountzis, I. (2014). The space to be: Commentary on “School refusal and the parentchild
relationship”. Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 13(3), 193-197.
- Sapountzis, I., & Bennett, L. (2014). Sharing alien states and experiences through dreams:
Working with adolescents on the autism spectrum. Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent
Psychotherapy, 13(2), 98-107.
- Sapountzis, I., & King, J. (2014). Using the weaving thoughts peer method to generate
meaning: Putting “bits and pieces” together. In Tracy, N. (Ed.), Transgenerational trauma
and the aboriginal preschool child: Healing through intervention. Sydney, Australia:
Rowman & Littlefield.
- Schachter, J., Gorman, B., Pfäfflin, F., & Kächele, H. (2014). A questionnaire/interview
comparison of satisfaction with training analysis to satisfaction with analysis by a
nontraining analyst: Implications for training analysis. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 31(3),
- Siefert, C., & Hilsenroth, M. J. (in press). Client attachment status and changes in
therapeutic alliance early in treatment. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy.
- Smith, S. W., Hilsenroth, M. J., Fiori, K. L., & Bornstein, R. F. (2014). Relationship between
SWAP-200 patient personality characteristics and patient-rated alliance early in treatment.
The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 202(5), 372-378.
- Springer, C. M. (2014, June). The need for caring in North and Central Brooklyn: A
community health needs assessment. In From community research to community action:
Utilizing community health needs assessments to inform health planning and policy. Panel
presented at Brooklyn Perinatal Network’s 25th Anniversary Symposium, Brooklyn, NY.
- Springer, C. M. (2014, October). Managing change and transitions. Presented at the
Adelphi Psychology Club, Garden City, NY.
- Strauss, B. M., Barber, J. P., & Castonguay, L. G. (Eds.). (in press). Visions in psychotherapy
research and practice: Reflections from the presidents of the Society for Psychotherapy
Research. New York, NY: Routledge Press.
- Stroinska, M., Cecchetto, V., & Szymanski, K. (Eds.). (2014). The unspeakable: Narratives of
Trauma. Frankfurt: Peter Lang Academic Research.
- Summers, R. J., & Barber, J. P. (2014). Practicing psychodynamic therapy: A casebook. New
York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Thompson, J. M., Tuch, R., & Josephs, L. (2014). The stories we tell ourselves: Mentalizing
tales of dating and marriage. New York, NY: Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group.
- Vaughans, K. C. (2014). Intergenerational trauma among African Americans. In O’Loughlin,
M., & Charles, M. (Eds.), Fragments of trauma and the social production of suffering:
Trauma, history, and memory. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Vaughans, K., & Speilberg, W. (Eds.). (2014). The psychology of black boys and
adolescents (Vols. 1-2). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Weitkamp, M. D., DelBene, V. A., Molholm, S., Ross, L. A., & Foxe, J. J. (2014). Volumetric
differences of the amygdala, hippocampus, and caudate nucleus in Autism Spectrum
Disorder adults. Presented at the Meeting of the Biomedical Engineering Society, San
- Woo, Y. J., Wang, T., Guadalupe, T., Zwiers, M. P., Ross, L. A., Fisher, S., Molholm, S., Foxe, J.
J., & Abrahams, B. (2014). A schizophrenia associated risk allele within ACSM1 is
associated with altered white matter integrity in the corpus callosum. Presented at the
Tenth International Imaging Genetics Conference, Irvine, CA.
Honors and Awards:
- Jean Lau Chin, Ed.D. was elected Past-Chair of the newly formed Council Leadership Team of the American Psychological Association Council of Representatives. This body will be responsible for the policy and issues relating to the discipline of psychology.
- J. Christopher Muran, Ph.D. was elected General Vice President, to become President of the Society for Psychotherapy Research.
For further information, please contact:
Strategic Communications Director
p – 516.237.8634
e – email@example.com