Information for students on how to maintain valid F-1 Status.

Maintaining Status Requirements

While studying in the United States, it is the responsibility of the individual visa holder to maintain valid status assigned at the port of entry and determined by the visa classification which includes:

  • Fulfilling the purpose for why the Department of State issued the student visa
  • Following the regulations associated with that purpose.

Get SEVP information.

The designated school official (DSO) at the University is responsible for specific reporting requirements which include necessary updates and maintenance of each student record in SEVIS. Students may contact SEVP by email at if the DSO is not able to assist or if the student seeks additional guidance.

Contact our DSO at:

International Services
Post Hall, Room 203
p – 516.877.4990
e –

International Student Responsibilities

The individual student is responsible for all status requirements.

Administrative Requirements:

  • Report to the DSO located in International Services prior to the program start date listed on the form I-20
  • Complete the Immigration Check-In Process with International Services
  • You must attend the school listed on your Form I-20
  • Participate in International Orientation
  • Abide by rules requiring disclosure of information and prohibition on criminal active
  • Keep your passport valid at all times

Address Change:

  • International Students are required to report a change of address within 10 days of the change. You can do this by logging into you eCampus account and going to My Profile.

Find out when to report changes to DSO.

Full Course of Study Requirements

International students are required to enroll in a “full course of study” each semester. This includes 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students.

The DSO may allow an F-1 student to engage in less than a full course of study in order to complete your academic program during the requested current term. If you are not required to take any additional courses to satisfy the requirements for completion, but continue to be enrolled for administrative purposes, you will not be eligible for a reduced course load, considered to have completed your course of study and must take action to maintain status. Such action may include application for change of status or departure from the U.S. If the student drops below a full course of study without the prior approval of the DSO and an authorized reduced course load, the student will be considered out of status.

Students wishing to request a reduced course load (RCL) must meet the following requirements:

  • The student must be enrolled in at least one required class and the reduced course load consists of at least 6 credits for undergraduate and 4.5 credits for graduate students.
  • Approval from the Academic Department indicating you are enrolling in the required academic credits necessary to graduate
  • Completion of the request to reduce the full course of study requirement for the identified semester
  • Authorization from International Services

If eligible, a student may file for a reduced course load to complete their academic program in the final semester.

The student must be authorized by International Services for the reduced course load prior to the course reduction or this would be considered a violation of status.

Academic Progress Requirements

In order to maintain valid F-1 status, the student must make normal progress towards the program of study indicated on Form I-20 and prior to the expiration of the program completion date on the Form I-20. If any information on the form I-20 changes, it is the students responsibility to meet with the Designated School Official to appropriately update the information and form I-20.

  • Students who need additional time to complete their academic program are responsible for filing a timely program extension application with international services. This must be done prior to the program completion date listed on form I-20.


Practical Training Opportunities and Employment

An international student may only work when authorized by a DSO in some cases, and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in others. If you choose to work without authorization, you will be in violation of your status and forced to leave the United States immediately, and you may not be able to re-enter the United States at a later date.

Academic Training Opportunities and Internships

F students are eligible for curricular practical training (CPT) at either the undergraduate or the graduate level during the program of study. CPT employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum and the position must directly relate to your major area of study.

Optional Practical Training

F students are also eligible for optional practical training during or following the program of study. OPT is a form of temporary employment that directly relates to your program of study.

On Campus Employment Opportunities

International students maintaining valid F-1 status are permitted to work on the Adelphi University campus while maintaining a valid I-20 and enrolled in a full course of study. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours per week during official school breaks. Please note that in all University offices, summer employment is limited to 27 hours per week as a University policy for all student positions.

Phone Number
Post Hall, 203

Search Menu