International Services will review completed I-20 requests received prior to the December 15 for the fall semester and July 15 for the spring semester deadline for all initial I-20 requests.
Transfer requests are reviewed on an individual basis based on admissions and status. Change of educational level I-20 requests will be reviewed once admission or program progression is determined and all information is received.
For information regarding the F-1 visa application and renewal process, please view the student visa overview and the current appointment wait time at your U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Request for I-20 Form
This form should be completed by the student and provide all the accurate information of the student. Please include this form with your Request for F-1 status to the Office of International Admissions for new students and International Services for returning students to Adelphi.
When completing this form: please use ink, answer all sections completely.
Photocopy of Passport Information Page
Please submit a photocopy of your valid passport.
Affidavit of Support
Proof the sponsor is employed and receiving income: must be completed by financial sponsor’s employer on employer letterhead or stationery indicating the employment of the sponsor or Income tax return from the previous year.
This form must be completed and signed by your financial sponsor indicating adequate resources necessary to meet all financial responsibilities while studying at Adelphi University. The number of funds you must show evidence of must be equal to or more than the cost of estimated expenses for one year of study. You can obtain the annual estimated costs from the International Student Budget Budget Sheet. If you have alternate financial support from alternate or outside sources, i.e. scholarship or loan funding, this amount should be deducted from the amount necessary to show evidence of.
Official Bank Documentation
You must show bank documentation indicating liquid funding matching one-year of financial expenses or the amount indicated on your affidavit of support form. Documentation must be valid within 6 months, be official documents and in English.
If the sponsor is a business, an additional letter from the company’s chief financial officer providing permission for the company to relinquish funds for students study is required.
Dependent I-20 Request
- To qualify for F-2 status, a spouse or unmarried, minor (under age 21) child must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry that:
- He or she is the spouse (as evidenced by a valid marriage certificate) or child (as evidenced by a valid birth certificate) of the F-1 principal;
- He or she has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses, or that other arrangements have been made to provide for such expenses once in the United States;
- He or she “will be accompanying or following to join the principal F-1 student”
- If the dependents are following to join the student, “the F-1 student is, or will be within 30 days, enrolled in a full course of study or engaged in approved practical training following completion of studies”
- He or she intends to leave the United States upon the termination of the status of the principal F-1 student
- Request for I-20 with Dependent Information Indicated
- Photocopy of Dependant Passport Information Page
- Proof of Dependant Relationship (official English translation) / Dependant Spouse: Valid and official marriage certificate or / Dependent Child: Certificate of birth
- Financial Sponsorship indicating the amount of financial support provided by the sponsor.
- Dependant Spouse: Financial evidence of $10,000
- Dependant Child: Financial evidence of $5,000
- Official Bank Statement (The bank statement must be valid within 6 months of the I-20 request, The name on the bank statement must be in English, and must match the name of the sponsor indicated on the affidavit of support or certificate of finances,Must be liquid funds, i.e. withdrawable)