President’s Student Leadership Award
The President’s Student Leadership Award, now in its fourteenth year, acknowledges the extraordinary achievements of Adelphi students, and we are, as always, thrilled to recognize the many ways our students enrich our community.
This significant recognition, along with a $1,000 non-renewable award, will go to a maximum of four honorees who meet the following criteria:
- Verifiable, outstanding leadership qualities that exceed the normal expectations of achievement, and benefit the Adelphi community
- 3.0 minimum cumulative grade point average (with a minimum of 15 credit hours earned at Adelphi)
- Current enrollment at Adelphi in a minimum of 6 credits of undergraduate study
- Current enrollment as a junior or senior (≥ 60 credits completed)
- Exemplary character, as attested to by the letters of recommendation
Candidates must submit a complete packet of information (including the required recommendation letters) no later than Friday, March 3, 2023 to the Leadership Award Selection Committee.
How to Apply
Your submission must include:
- A personal statement/essay between 500-700 words that explains:
- the most important leadership and/or community service contribution(s) made during your years at Adelphi
- how you see the contribution(s) as having a major impact on and/or lasting value to Adelphi
- your specific role(s) and the time that you invested
- how the experience(s) has shaped or influenced you to develop your future goalsPlease note that the essay must be typed and double-spaced with one-inch margins.
- A completed application form, which includes a brief summary of your activities that supports your candidacy for this award. Be sure to address ways in which you have demonstrated leadership.
- A minimum of two and a maximum of three letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak specifically to your qualifications for the award: one from an Adelphi faculty member or administrator, one from another Adelphi student, and one optional recommendation of your choice. The selection committee will place great emphasis on these recommendations.
Decisions will be rendered by the Leadership Award Selection Committee, comprised of faculty, administrators and students, on or before the week of April 12, 2021 on the basis of the information submitted and an interview of the finalists for the award. (Only the finalists will be invited for an interview.) There will be a formal presentation to award winners during the SGA Brown and Gold Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
It is the responsibility of all candidates to ensure that their submissions are complete and contain the required essay, activities summary, and recommendation letters. Incomplete submissions may not receive consideration.