President’s Student Leadership Award
The President’s Student Leadership Award recognizes the extraordinary achievements of Adelphi students. Adelphi aims to recognize students in the same way as outstanding faculty members are recognized for their excellence in teaching with the Teaching Excellence Award, and Adelphi employees are recognized for their excellence in service to the University with the President’s Award for Excellence in Service.
Submit your essay, application and letters of recommendation no later than Monday, March 9, 2020.
This recognition carries a $1,000 non-renewable award, which will be given to a maximum of four honorees who meet the following criteria:
- Verifiable, outstanding leadership qualities that exceed the normal expectations of achievement, and benefit the Adelphi community
- 0 minimum cumulative grade point average (with a minimum of 15 credit hours earned at Adelphi)
- Current enrollment at Adelphi in a minimum of 6 credits of undergraduate study
- Current enrollment as a junior or senior (≥ 60 credits completed)
- Exemplary character, as attested to by the letters of recommendation
Candidates must submit a complete packet of information (including the required recommendation letters) to the Leadership Award Selection Committee by using the form below.
Your submission must include:
- A personal statement/essay between 500-700 words that explains:
- the most important leadership and/or community service contribution(s) made during your years at Adelphi
- how you see the contribution(s) as having a major impact on and/or lasting value to Adelphi
- your specific role(s) and the time that you invested
- how the experience(s) has shaped or influenced you to develop your future goals
Please note that the essay must be typed and double-spaced with one-inch margins.
- A completed application form, which includes a brief summary of your activities that supports your candidacy for this award. Be sure to address ways in which you have demonstrated leadership.
- A minimum of two and a maximum of three letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak specifically to your qualifications for the award: one from an Adelphi faculty member or administrator, one from another Adelphi student, and one optional recommendation of your choice. The selection committee will place great emphasis on these recommendations.
Decisions will be rendered by the Leadership Award Selection Committee, comprised of faculty, administrators and students, on or before April 15, 2020, on the basis of the information submitted and an interview of the finalists for the award. (Only the finalists will be invited for an interview.) There will be a formal presentation to award winners during the SGA Brown and Gold Awards Ceremony on May 4, 2020.
It is the responsibility of all candidates to ensure that their submissions are complete and contain the required essay, activities summary and recommendation letters. Incomplete submissions may not receive consideration.