College Science Advancement Program (SAP/NYS CSTEP)
SAP/NYS CSTEP raises the academic success rates of underrepresented groups entering into Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics careers and licensed professions by preparing students to excel.
SAP/NYSCSTEP’s close collaboration with businesses, faculty and Adelphi support services provides students with research opportunities, mentoring and successful transition to higher-level studies or entrance into careers.
College Science Advancement Program Services
SAP/NYS CSTEP provides academic enrichment and research experiences in STEM content areas. Projects consist of academic year and summer components including:
- All activities are optional and do not require additional coursework
- Summer preparation workshops to help students succeed in gateway courses
- Academic year activities including a variety of workshops, STEM subject material support, research opportunities, industry connections, mentoring and community building activities
- Orientation extension specific to NYS CSTEP preparation
NYS CSTEP Results in New York State
- Over 70% of NYS CSTEP students matriculate in STEM and health related fields
- Over 5,500 underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students participate annually in NYS CSTEP
- NYS CSTEP seniors graduate at a higher rate than non-NYS CSTEP peers
- NYS CSTEP graduates pursue graduate programs and licensure at a higher rate than their non-NYS CSTEP peers.
This program is funded by the New York State Department of Education.
Frequently Asked Questions
Adelphi University’s College Science and Technology Entry program provides expanded opportunities for excellence and support to College students from under-represented groups who are pursuing careers in science, technology, mathematics, engineering (STEM), health-related fields, and professional licensure (e.g., social work, psychology). College Science and Technology Entry program SAP/NYS CSTEP students form a community to provide students opportunities to earn outstanding credentials and research and business/industry connections.
- New York state resident (or permanent resident alien)
- Enrolled full time in a scientific, technical, health-related, pre-professional or professional undergraduate or graduate program of study at Adelphi
- Member of a historically underrepresented group (African-American,
- Hispanic/Latino, American Indian or Alaskan native) OR meet income requirements
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or better
Complete the application and bring or mail it to the SAP/NYSCSTEP Program Director located in Adelphi’s Social Work Building, Room 118 on the Garden City campus.
- Become eligible for stipends for research and summer workshops
- Customized supports that help you achieve top honors
- Research presentation opportunities (local, regional and national)
- Laptop and textbook loaner programs
- Guidance and support from faculty and business mentors
- Tutoring help in subject areas
- Study groups
- Industry and research internship opportunities
- Visits to graduate schools
- Projects at national universities and research labs
- Preparations for licensing exams and standardized tests
- Placement assistance
- Projects at the national universities and research labs
- Graduate/professional school admissions preparation plus visits to graduate schools
- Opportunities to mentor middle and high school students