Adelphi University's aim is to foster a culture where every member of the University feels valued, supported and inspired to achieve individual and common goals. This includes providing opportunity and access for all people.
Academic Diversity Implementation Team
The Academic Diversity Implementation Team (ADIT) is a faculty-led initiative with support from the Office of the Provost and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB).
It was established in 2020 and is responsible for the following:
- Leading the way in challenging long-held assumptions and benchmarking Universitywide actions related to curricular enhancement, hiring practices, and supporting and promoting diversity
- Suggesting ways to improve the hiring, mentoring, retention, teaching, scholarship and tenure of a diverse faculty body
- Facilitating the implementation of evidence-based strategic diversity plans in every academic area
- Review of all Faculty Committee on Retention, Tenure and Promotion (FCRTP) and Unit Peer Review Committee (UPRC) guidelines/policies/procedures/process for full-time and part-time faculty
- Unit mentorship program for untenured and clinical faculty should be reviewed by Diversity Councils.
- A mentorship program should be developed for tenured faculty.
- All schools and colleges should make certain that they include social justice, DEI and anti-racism language on their websites.
- Universitywide or unit-level climate and culture survey data should be utilized to inform policy revisions.
- Curriculum changes to include a diversity statement, complete with social justice, DEI and anti-racism themes
- Develop a process to capture exit interview data for use by faculty in their development and retention at the University.
- Identify internal and external facilitators/experts to work with Diversity Councils to form discipline/content-based focus groups that have meaningful dialogue on discussing race within the classroom.