Build essential skills to advance your career or prepare for graduate study while balancing work and family.
Why Earn Your BA in Social Science?
A degree in social science provides excellent preparation for a rewarding career in any industry that requires analytical skills related to behavior, people and organizations. You’ll also be well-equipped for graduate study across disciplines, from psychology and counseling to elementary and secondary education, public administration, law and social work.
Why Major in Social Science at Adelphi?
- Earn a career-boosting degree whether you are a working parent, full-time or part-time employee, veteran or on active duty—we’ll work with your schedule and unique needs.
- Receive personal attention from faculty with real-world experience who support diverse adult learners.
- Choose our online program, which is ideal for working professionals from across the country interested in completing this degree from any location.
- Graduate career-ready with highly marketable skills such as data collection, research analysis, program evaluation and problem-solving.
What Can You Do with a Degree in Social Sciences?
This degree is excellent preparation for a rewarding career in any industry that requires analytical skills related to the study of behavior, people and organizations. You’ll also be well-equipped for graduate study across disciplines, from psychology and counseling to elementary and secondary education, public administration, law and social work.
Concentrations & Degree Option
We offer three options to align with our students’ professional and educational goals:
Psychology and Human Services Professions
Ideal for students interested in pursuing an advanced degree or career in psychology, social work or the social science.
Social Cultural Studies
Ideal for students interested in pursuing an advanced degree or career in sociology, education or law.
Online BA in Social Science
Gives professionals from across the country the opportunity to complete the degree from any location.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
As the final part of our program, you will engage in an individual or group project that focuses on a problem of practice with your place of employment or in a sponsoring organization. Capstone projects allow you to synthesize and demonstrate to employers the knowledge and skills you learned in the program, serving as a valuable opportunity for career change or advancement.
The College of Professional and Continuing Studies was founded to serve the nontraditional and adult student, and its admission policy reflects a commitment to enrolling students who may have not had the opportunity to complete their degree in a traditional undergraduate program.
- An SAT score is not required.
- Although past academic records are required and reviewed, more focus is placed on a student’s present motivation to earn a degree than with previous academic performance.
- Candidates must have completed at least 120 credits, 90 of which must be in the liberal arts. The final 30 credits must be taken in graded course work at the University, and no more than 60 of total credits may be awarded from prior learning.
- Candidates must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in their area of concentration and a minimum GPA of 2.0 from Adelphi overall.
- The Office of University Admissions makes every effort to notify candidates of their admission decision approximately three weeks after a completed application is received.