About the Adelphi University Libraries
The University Libraries are an integral part of the educational experience and an invaluable resource primarily for students, faculty, staff, and alumni, but also for the broader community. Located at the Garden City campus and the New York City, Hauppauge, and Hudson Valley Centers, they offer an extensive range of books and other materials and services to support academic studies and enhance research.
The Adelphi University Libraries provide education, information resources, services, and spaces that advance teaching, learning, research, and creative activity. As an academic department of the University, the Adelphi University Libraries help the Adelphi University community create and shape new knowledge and participate in communities of learning, and lead research which informs our practice.
The Adelphi University Libraries is an innovative hub where knowledge is accessed, created, and shared, and where high-impact pedagogy is modelled and implemented in state-of-the-art classrooms. The sum of what we provide—education, information resources, learning and creative spaces–demonstrably contributes to student engagement, learning outcomes and retention, as well as student and faculty success. The Adelphi University Libraries are the place where the University’s unique and distinctive Archives and Special Collections are appropriately conserved and promoted to the campus community and beyond, enhancing the profile of the University, and sustainably contributing to Adelphi University advancement.
The University Libraries value:
- service to our users
- a talented, diverse and empowered faculty and staff
- a workplace culture of trust, transparency, and mutual respect
- collegiality, cooperation, partnership, and collaboration
- creative virtual and physical spaces for knowledge discovery, and scholarly and creative production
- innovation in technology, pedagogy, and scholarship
- commitment to excellence and high performance
- assessment, evaluation and continuous improvement
- efficient and effective management of resources
- diversity, equity, and inclusion across all areas of our work and resources
- student success and seek to support it through excellent programs, collections and services
Strategic Plan 2020-2024
Academic libraries are in the midst of fundamental transformation. This change is due to a variety of factors—rapidly evolving student and faculty expectations for ready access to information resources and research support; the seismic shift from print to digital scholarly communication and publishing; the growing demand on campuses for readily accessible commons for collaborative learning, innovative teaching with technology, and creative/scholarly production; the increasing need to demonstrate value and accountability through thorough rigorous assessment. This Strategic Plan is intended to guide the Adelphi University Libraries in this period of dramatic change and to continue initiatives that evolved from the Libraries’ 2014-2017 Strategic Plan. Moreover, this plan is intended to ensure that the Libraries continue on a path of excellence and continued improvement aligned with Adelphi University’s enduring core values and strategic Strategic Initiatives, as articulated in Momentum: The Strategic Plan for Adelphi University, 2015–2021.
Click on each goal for more.
- Create and sponsor programming that fosters an inclusive environment for the entire Adelphi University community.
- Develop learning spaces, technology, and pedagogical techniques that address the diverse learning needs of students, including online students and students studying at Adelphi learning centers outside of Garden City.
- Reflect DEI in our collections, including a DEI curriculum collection. Ensure that our acquisitions and programs reflect the increasing diversity of the curriculum and research of the University
- Help scholars navigate their complete scholarly journey by assisting them in: developing successful publishing strategies, managing and tracking publications, maintaining an impactful online identity, measuring and assessing scholarly impact by discipline, and communicating scholarly impact to audiences.
- Make knowledge openly and equitably available to all in compliance with Open Access policies mandated by founders.
- Continue to be a strong partner to campus stakeholders in creating cutting-edge scholarly platforms that collect, organize, integrate, and maximize faculty and student scholarly and creative works, to share their work and talk about the impact of their work.
- Create a program to award positive and disciplined work ethic and opportunity for growth.
- Identify and correct structures and existing practices, including hiring, promotion, and retention, that perpetuate inequity and oppression in our organization.
- Implement faculty/staff surveys to better accommodate workplace needs.
- Make professional development funding available to all levels of library employees.
- Develop new and innovative ways to support student learning and research needs regardless of location. Provide an online presence and digital platforms that are easily adaptable to changing technology and changing research practices.
- Continue to promote relationships with academic departments and seek opportunities to infuse information literacy into the broader curriculum.
- Promote the effective, ethical and responsible use of scholarly resources for learning and research.
- Implement and integrate new library services platforms with existing campus technology infrastructure.
- Enhance metadata records to better reflect materials described and held by University libraries to ensure proper management of materials for decision making.
- Balance electronic access and physical ownership in order to support our global constituents and meet accessibility needs.
- Evaluate our space usage to create more functional academic spaces, including quiet study, collaborative and socialization spaces, library staff space, and University Archives and Special Collections.