Bhisé Global Learning Experience
Read about our distinctive study abroad experience for LGS students, culminating in a campuswide deep dive with a global perspective.
The Bhisé Global Learning Experience 2023: India
The Bhisé Global Learning Experience: India is an incubator for Adelphi to embrace global learning in a focused, structured and experiential way. Administered by our Levermore Global Scholars program (LGS), the Bhisé Global Learning Experience will provide distinctive on-campus and international experiences that enable students to develop a global mindset, which is foundational for their future professional roles as educated, globally engaged citizens.
The overall experience will incorporate two main elements:
- A 10-day immersive experience in India during January 2023 Intersession for eight LGS students who are selected through a competitive application process
- A University-wide LGS program in Spring 2023, also focused on India, to include curricular, cocurricular and extracurricular components that align with the LGS mission to foster global learning
Bhisé Global Learning Experience 2023: Study Tour to India
The Bhisé Global Learning Experience in India is a non-credit-bearing LGS study abroad program scheduled for January 2023, funded entirely by the generous gift of Adelphi alumnus Bharat Bhisé, MBA ’78, an executive, investor and leader in the global transportation, leasing and logistics industries. Eight LGS students and two faculty members will spend 10 days in India, exploring the country’s global role from a variety of perspectives: business, politics, the arts, women’s empowerment, the environment, and health and wellness.
Students will attend lectures and visit landmarks and sites that offer a deeper understanding of India. They will attend dinners hosted by Indian families and have the opportunity to meet and interact with Indian students. Their itinerary will include a day visiting the Taj Mahal and stops in several major locations, such as New Delhi, Mumbai and Goa. Other site visits may include:
- Parliament and a women’s empowerment nongovernmental organization (NGO)
- A call center and/or an Indian manufacturer
- Gurukuls (guru-based training) or music/dance schools
- An Indian healthcare facility or pharmaceutical company
- An Indian forest management program
- LGS juniors and seniors are invited to apply for this fully funded opportunity by September 30, 2022, with an essay addressing why they are a good fit for the program and how it aligns with their major or research.
- An LGS faculty committee will carefully select eight students from among the competitive applications, with due attention to diversity and equity.
- Selected students will attend three required meetings in Fall 2022 to prepare for the trip, including a kickoff meeting with a guest speaker.
- Applications for visas and other preparatory work will commence in October 2022.
Spring 2023 University-wide Global Learning Experience: Spotlight on India
Additional curriculum and experiences are planned throughout the Spring 2023 semester to continue exploring India’s role in our global community. While reinforcing the experience of the cohort that visits the country, all LGS students will have an opportunity to participate in these events and activities that place a spotlight on India’s global role. The full on-campus community will also be invited to learn more about Indian economics, politics, culture and society through additional academic and cultural trips, a number of distinguished lectures, and themed events.