Health Services Peer Education
Healthy isn’t just a choice, it’s a lifestyle.
The Health and Wellness Peer Education Center’s vision is to create a college experience inside a positive, safe and healthy environment that allows you to reach your intellectual, psychological, social, cultural and spiritual potential while maintaining physical health.
The Peer Education program offers opportunities for you and the collective student body to grow through a variety of diverse experiences that are challenging, rewarding and meaningful. We strive to create a higher-education environment that is supportive and encourages positive health. Through bio-psycho-social-spiritual-diversity educational workshops and programs—along with a resource center complete with supportive literature, referrals and information on a variety of health, wellness and social issues that impact student health—the center complements and supports student learning and critical thinking.
Current students who would like to get involved with the Peer Education program can learn more about becoming an Educator.
The Peer Educators are a diverse group of Adelphi students who work in conjunction with other University services to deliver holistic health promotion programs and events to fellow students. They are trained by the health educator in health topics such as alcohol and other drugs, sexual assault, sexual health, body image, nutrition, wellness and fitness. Through specialized training, national certification and weekly meetings, the educators gain hands-on experience in program and event planning and leadership development to better deliver up-to-date and relevant information to you.
Become a Peer Educator
Primary Function and Goal:
The Health & Wellness Peer Educators work within the Student Health Services Center in conjunction with other University services to deliver holistic health promotion programs and support to Adelphi students through peer educators.
Under the direct supervision of the Health Educator, Peer Educators will:
- Assist in the development and implementation of educational and social programs geared towards the promotion of wellness on a variety of health & wellness topics.
- Facilitate wellness workshops with various University offices
- Be well versed on wellness topics, including: alcohol and other drug use/abuse, nicotine use, healthy relationships, and personal health.
- Participate in a number of campus-wide wellness awareness-raising events and promotions.
- Serve as a University role model and advocate for responsible and healthy lifestyle choices.
- Must be a full-time Adelphi University Undergraduate student
- Must be a role model for responsible and healthy lifestyle choices and enthusiastic about educating peers on wellness issues.
- Must possess strong verbal skills and the desire to present information to peers.
- Must demonstrate ability to work well with individuals and groups.
- Complete the Peer Education Training program and pass the National Certification Exam.
- Please note all applicants will undergo a University disciplinary record review upon consideration for the position and any other time during the year as deemed necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend and be on time for the required training meetings
- Attend and be on time for weekly meetings
- Assist fellow Peer Educators in the creation of programs and workshops
- Assist the Health Educator and fellow Peer Educators in the facilitation of educational and social wellness campus-wide programs and events.
- All other duties as assigned by the Health Educator.
Apply to Become a Peer Educator
Join us to make Adelphi University healthier.
- Spring 2024 Mon–Thurs: 24-hour coverage Fri: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm Jan 1, 2, 15: Closed March 18-22: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm May 27: Closed
- Summer 2024 May 20 - August 23: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm June 19: Closed July 4: Closed