Campus Examples of High Impact Practices Across Higher Education
Browse HIPs projects and initiatives at Adelphi University and across higher education. For more information and campus examples, see the AAC&U’s web pages on HIPs.
First-Year Seminars and Experiences
- The National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition serves as a trusted expert, internationally recognized leader, and clearinghouse for scholarship, policy, and best practice for all postsecondary student transitions.
- The First-Year Seminar and First-Year Orientation Experience at Adelphi University offer students the opportunity to participate in communities of inquiry around the problems and ideas that Adelphi faculty are engaged within their own research.
Common Intellectual Experiences
- Adelphi University’s Community Reads Program engages students in a common reading and essay-writing contest.
- The University of Southern California, Santa Barbara offers a common reading program in collaboration with community partners.
- The National Resource Center for Learning Communities at the The Washington Center at the Evergreen State College helps “campus teams design and implement sustainable, high-quality learning community programs that engage and support all learners.” The Center’s web pages contain helpful resources for practitioners and a peer-reviewed journal called Learning Communities Research and Practice.
- An index of Writing in the Disciplines and Writing Across the Curriculum programs from across the United States can be found on North Carolina State’s Writing and Speaking Web pages.
- A handout used at Salt Lake Community College, provides students (and teachers) with ideas of how high-quality reflective writing can enhance the assignments in their general education ePortfolios. It includes sample reflection prompts and a list of tips for writing reflectively.
Collaborative Assignments and Projects
- Adelphi University’s Collaboration Project has existed since 2006, with the goal to build community and fostering multi- and inter-generational understanding among faculty, students, staff, administrators and the community-at-large and student leadership development in social justice-related efforts.
- Adelphi University’s commitment to undergraduate research is evidenced by an annual Research Conference and related activities.
- The Center for Student Involvement and Multicultural Affairs at Adelphi University enacts its deep commitment to diversity through numerous initiatives like these: Dinner and Dialogue Series, Diversity Months, LGBTQ Adelphi, I Am Diversity at AU.
Service Learning, Community-Based Learning
- The American Association of Community College offers this list of publications on Service Learning.