This high school news event gives students an opportunity to explore their passion for media. Students may also participate in the Quill Awards.
The media world has since evolved through social media, blogs, radio and TV.
Discover and Explore Your Passion
On Press Day we will uncover some tricks of the trade from the craftsmen and women of the media industry, including newspaper and magazine editors, online and newspaper reporters and freelance writers.
The highlight of the event is the presentation of the Quill Awards, featuring 9 categories this year: Best News Article, Best Feature Article, Best Sports Story or Column, Best Opinion Piece (Column or Editorial), Best Visual (Photograph or Artwork), Best Arts Review, Best Layout, Most Outstanding Reporter and Most Outstanding Newspaper (Printed or Online). Find out more about each category! Find out more about each category!
The maximum number of students allowed to participate in Press Day is 15 students per school. The event is free and open to all high school grade levels and will be held in-person this year.
Health and Safety
Masks are optional based on your comfort level but the policy is subject to change. Faculty may require students to wear masks in their classes, studios or laboratories.
We ask that you and your students self-screen for symptoms and/or exposure prior to arrival, and those with risk factors should refrain from coming to campus. Should any changes occur, we will keep you updated via email and/or phone.
Please share this information with your students, their parents and/or legal guardian and the teachers and/or chaperones that will be accompanying your students during their visit to campus. For more information on our university policies please visit our website.
Registration will open on September 2, 2022.
Press Day Student Contract
All students must have a signed Press Day Student Contract by a parent or legal guardian prior to participating in the event. This form will be provided upon registration.
Quill Awards Competition
To submit work to the Quill Awards competition, please be sure to follow the instructions listed below and click here to download the Quill Awards Competition Submission Form.
Any materials received that are not in accordance to with these guidelines may be disqualified.
- All submissions must be submitted no later than Friday, January 27, 2023.
- Each school may enter up to six categories with a maximum of one entry per category.
- A copy of the Quill Awards Competition Submission Form must be attached to your email submission and labeled.
- To be considered for an award, all submissions must have been produced between February 2022 and January 2023.
- Be sure that all submissions including editorials, layout design and cartoons, have a byline and title as submissions will not be eligible for a Quill Award without this information.
- Students must participate in Press Day to be eligible to receive a Quill Award. All students must attend Press Day with a faculty advisor.
- All submission materials must be emailed to email@example.com.
- Most Outstanding Newspaper (Printed or Online)
- Most Outstanding Reporter
- Best News Article
- Best Feature Article
- Best Sports Story or Column
- Best Opinion Piece (Column or Editorial)
- Best Visual (Photograph or Artwork)
- Best Arts Review
- Best Layout
For more information on the Discover and Explore Event Series, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 516.877.3690.