This high school news event gives students an opportunity to explore their passion for media. Students may also participate in the Quill Awards.
Discover and Explore Your Passion
On Press Day, we will uncover some tricks of the trade from the craftsmen and women of the media industry, including newspaper and magazine editors, online and newspaper reporters and freelance writers.
The highlight of the event is the presentation of the Quill Awards, featuring 9 categories this year: Best News Article, Best Feature Article, Best Sports Story or Column, Best Opinion Piece (Column or Editorial), Best Visual (Photograph or Artwork), Best Arts Review, Best Layout, Most Outstanding Reporter and Most Outstanding Newspaper (Printed or Online). Find out more about each category! Find out more about each category!
The maximum number of students allowed to participate in Press Day is 15 students per school. The event is free and open to all high school grade levels and will be held in-person this year.
All faculty, chaperones and students must have the Adelphi University Camera Release Form signed by a parent or legal guardian. Students who do not have a signed photo release form will not be permitted to participate in the event. Please be sure to share this information with your students and their parents. We request you scan your signed forms and send them to us at email@example.com prior to the event in order to expedite the check-in process. You may also collect the forms and bring them with you on the day of the event.
Press Day Student Contract
All students must have a signed Press Day Student Contract by a parent or legal guardian prior to participating in the event. This form will be provided upon registration.
Quill Awards Competition
To submit work to the Quill Awards competition, please be sure to follow the instructions listed below and click here to download the Quill Awards Competition Submission Form.
Any materials received that are not in accordance to with these guidelines may be disqualified.
- All submissions must be submitted no later than Friday, January 26, 2024.
- Each school may enter up to six categories with a maximum of one entry per category.
- A copy of the Quill Awards Competition Submission Form must be attached to your email submission and labeled.
- To be considered for an award, all submissions must have been produced between February 2023 and January 2024.
- Be sure that all submissions including editorials, layout design and cartoons, have a byline and title as submissions will not be eligible for a Quill Award without this information.
- Students must participate in Press Day to be eligible to receive a Quill Award. All students must attend Press Day with a faculty advisor.
- All submission materials must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Most Outstanding Newspaper (Printed or Online)
- Most Outstanding Reporter
- Best News Article
- Best Feature Article
- Best Sports Story or Column
- Best Opinion Piece (Column or Editorial)
- Best Visual (Photograph or Artwork)
- Best Arts Review
- Best Layout
For more information on the Discover and Explore Event Series, please contact email@example.com or call 516.877.3690.