This virtual high school news event gives students an opportunity to explore their passion for media. Students may also participate in the Quill Awards.
Discover and Explore your Passion – Annual High School Special Event Series
Long gone are the days when paperboys hit the streets to call attention to breaking news. The media world has since evolved through social media, blogs, radio and TV. At Press Day on Friday, February 26, 2021, we uncover some tricks of the trade from the craftsmen and women of the media industry, including newspaper and magazine editors, online and newspaper reporters and freelance writers.
The highlight of the event is the presentation of the Quill Awards, featuring 9 categories this year: Best News Article, Best Feature Article, Best Sports Story or Column, Best Opinion Piece (Column or Editorial), Best Visual (Photograph or Artwork), Best Arts Review, Best Layout, Most Outstanding Reporter and Most Outstanding Newspaper (Printed or Online). Find out more about each category! Find out more about each category!
The maximum number of students allowed to participate in Press Day is 20 students per school. The event is free and open to all high school grade levels and will be held virtually this year.
Virtual Press Day Student Contract
All students must have a signed Press Day Student Contract by a parent or legal guardian prior to participating in the event. This form will be provided upon registration.
Quill Awards Competition
To submit work to the Quill Awards competition, please be sure to follow the instructions listed below.
Any materials received that are not in accordance to with these guidelines may be disqualified.
- All submissions must be submitted no later than Friday, January 29, 2021.
- Each school may enter up to six categories with a maximum of one entry per category.
- A copy of the Quill Awards Competition Form must be attached to your email submission and labeled.
- To be considered for an award, all submissions must have been produced between February 2020 and January 2021.
- Be sure that all submissions including editorials, layout design and cartoons, have a byline and title as submissions will not be eligible for a Quill Award without this information.
- Students must participate in Press Day to be eligible to receive a Quill Award. All students must attend Press Day with a faculty advisor.
- All submission materials must be emailed to email@example.com.
- Most Outstanding Newspaper (Printed or Online)
- Most Outstanding Reporter
- Best News Article
- Best Feature Article
- Best Sports Story or Column
- Best Opinion Piece (Column or Editorial)
- Best Visual (Photograph or Artwork)
- Best Arts Review
- Best Layout