Ensuring a safe environment for everyone on our campus.
Although Garden City remains one of the safest neighborhoods on Long Island and Adelphi University one of the safest campuses in the country, we remain as determined as ever to be vigilant about concerns of safety. Please take a moment to review the following safety tips and the linked guides found on this page.
Working together as a community, we will continue to ensure a safe environment for everyone at Adelphi University.
If you witness a crime or experience an emergency on campus, dial 5 from any campus phone 24 hours a day to reach the Adelphi Public Safety Department.
General Safety Tips
Safety is an important concern in any large town. Follow these safety tips and use common sense. You will find that it really is possible to fully enjoy living, studying and working on Long Island.
- Familiarize yourself with streets and neighborhoods you’ll be visiting or passing through.
- Walk in an assertive manner.
- At night, walk facing the flow of traffic.
- Know where you are going. Plan your route in advance.
- Walk in well-lighted and populated areas, especially at night. Stay out of parts at night. Be aware of your surroundings and of suspicious persons or circumstances.
- Travel with a friend if possible.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry and flashing money on the street and in the subways.
- Always keep bags closed and knapsacks zipped and buckled. Keep your purse on your lap at restaurants. Don’t hang it on the back of your chair or leave it in an empty chair.
- If you suspect you are being followed, cross the street or go into a store, restaurant or other public building.
- Know the whereabouts of all-night delicatessens and other safe locations.
- If someone in a car asks you a question, stay a good distance from the car when responding.
- Always carry enough money for cab fare home and quarters or phone cards to make phone calls.
- Try not to use cash machines at night.