Preferred Name Policy
What is a Preferred Name?
A preferred name is a name you choose to be called that is different than your legal name.
What is Adelphi University’s Preferred Name Policy?
Adelphi University recognizes that some students wish to use a preferred name in addition to their legal name. As long as the use of a preferred name is not used for misrepresentation, abuse or to avoid accountability, a student may request this option, where possible.
How Can I Set My Preferred Name?
There are several ways a student may request the use of a preferred name, gender identity and pronoun.
- By going on eCampus and clicking on the My Profile icon, you can update your name there.
- You can download the Preferred Name Request Form that can be found on the Registrar’s forms page.
- This form can also be used to update gender identity and pronoun. Forms downloaded from our website can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org from your Adelphi email account.
- You can also do this in person at the Registrar’s office, located in Levermore Hall, Lower Level, Room 8.
Students are encouraged to add a preferred name prior to the start of a semester, but can do so at any time.
Where will my Preferred Name appear?
- Class Rosters/Early Warning Rosters
- CLASS Account
- Library systems
- Degree audit
*If requested, username and email address will also reflect your preferred name.
Where will my Legal Name appear?
- Enrollment Verification letters
- Financial records/Paychecks and tax documents
- Grade reports
- Employment and Personnel Records
- Medical Records
- Third-party reporting (i.e. federal agency records)