Though much of the work is not visible from the outside, the interior of the building is taking shape with new walls, floors, ceiling and infrastructure, and the expanded ground floor has been created in the west addition.
Dear Adelphi Community,
Since our last communication one month ago, the renovation of the Ruth S. Harley University Center has advanced significantly. Though much of the work is not visible from the outside, the interior of the building is taking shape with new walls, floors, ceiling and infrastructure, and the expanded ground floor has been created in the west addition. Here are more details about recent activity on this important project:
Work on the interior of the University Center (the UC) continues to progress from top to bottom. Framing, sheetrocking, spackling and taping of the walls took place on the third, then second, and – as of our last communication January – first floors. Since then:
- Painters have begun priming the third floor walls with a coat of sealant in preparation for finishing.
- Installation of the third floor ceiling grid is complete.
- The ceiling grid is currently being installed on the second floor.
- With plumbing and electric in place, the walls on second floor have been closed.
- Sprinkler pipe and electric lines have been installed in the Thomas Dixon Lovely Ballroom.
- Workers are now framing the walls and soffits of the ballroom.
- The installation of terrazzo flooring on the first floor is complete, with the exception of the entrance.
- Tile work is complete in the first floor bathrooms and ongoing in the lower level restrooms.
- Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT) flooring has been installed in all Information Technology (IT) closets.
In addition, the Starbucks on the first floor of the UC has begun to take shape!
- Workers have framed the soffits and run electrical lines in walls and the ceiling.
- The walls were closed and floor drains have been installed.
- Installation of terrazzo flooring has begun.
- Placement of drywall is underway.
- Workers have begun the process of pouring the concrete for the accessibility ramp.
East Addition (facing Parking Lot 2)
- Installation of metal framing and walls is under way. The curtain wall has been delivered to campus and work will begin to install it.
- Work continues on the brick exterior walls in preparation for new window designs.
West Addition (facing Levermore Hall)
- With the steel frame and concrete floors in place, installation of metal framing for walls has begun.
- The concrete slab has been poured to form the ground-level deck.
On the Roof
- The old concrete elevator enclosure was demolished to make way for a new elevator shaft.
- The new concrete elevator enclosure was poured.
- A new roof slab was installed and finished over the elevator shaft.
- Elevator mechanicals and electric were installed.
- Roof curbs and rails supports for mechanical equipment were installed.
- On February 12, a large crane lifted the new air conditioning coolers onto the roof.
Other Exterior Work
- Excavation on the west side is making space for underground utilities.
- The ground-level concrete deck was poured on the west side.
We are very excited to see the tremendous progress on this major building renovation. You can see photos of this work on the UC Progress website by clicking on the Photos and Live Feed link, where you can view the full photo gallery or watch the real-time webcam.
We will continue to share monthly updates, and will continue to post time-sensitive notices on the Campus Alerts page. In addition, we encourage you to utilize the AU2GO mobile app, where you can enable push notifications for the topics that are important to you.
We are always interested to hear your feedback, so if you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to email UCProgress@adelphi.edu.
The UC Progress Team
For further information, please contact:
Strategic Communications Director
p – 516.237.8634
e – email@example.com