The Delphian wins top student newspaper award on Long Island.
At the annual Press Club of Long Island (PCLI) Awards Dinner held on Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at the Woodbury Country Club, seven Adelphi students were honored with awards and scholarships.
The Delphian was named Best College Newspaper over competitors from Stony Brook University and Suffolk Community College. Also a story featured on WALK Radio about disaster preparedness and the university’s Center for Health Innovation Poll won first place.
Highlights of the awards night also included the inaugural Learning Disability Journalism Scholarship, which recognizes a student in a journalism program having a defined learning disability. This award went to Adelphi University’s Gregory Gianconelli ’14. The College Journalism Scholarship Award, which recognizes outstanding college student journalists who either attend a Long Island college or live on Long Island went to The Delphian’s editor Stephen Levine ’14. Senior Adjunct Professor Liza Burby won second place in the feature/lifestyle category for her article in Long Island Parent magazine.
Here are the results:
- College Newspaper Reporter: Brett Spielberg ’13, First Place
- Best College Newspaper: The Delphian, First Place
- College Sports Reporting: Vinny Messana ’13, Second Place; Victoria Chiesa ’14, Third Place
- College Feature Story: Stephen Levine, Second Place
- Video, College News Package: Chris Hart ’13 and Robbie Lucia, First Place – see video below
- Journalism Scholarship: Stephen Levine
- Inaugural Learning Disability Journalism Scholarship: Gregory Gianconelli
- Educational Reporting: Disaster Preparedness and CHI Poll, WALK Radio, First Place
- Feature/Lifestyle: Liza Burby, Second Place
The Delphian newspaper, called “the voice of the students,” is available at students.adelphi.edu/delphian/.
Find more information on Adelphi’s Department of Communications.
For further information, please contact:
Strategic Communications Director
p – 516.237.8634
e – email@example.com