We have been working hard to reopen our facilities at the Center for Recreation and Sports (CRS), with a variety of new policies and procedures in line with local and state health requirements, keeping our Adelphi community safe and healthy. You will notice:
- Changes to equipment placement
- Plexiglass barriers at check-in desks
- New hand sanitizer and cleaning stations
- Signage throughout the facilities
- A thermal scanner to check your temperature before entering the fitness center
On Monday, October 5, the fitness center at Woodruff Hall and the indoor track at the CRS will reopen.
- The fitness center will be open Monday through Friday from 12:00 noon to 7:00 p.m.
- The indoor track will be open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Two weeks after these openings, additional morning and/or weekend hours may be added for use of these facilities based on student demands. Additionally, the gymnasium will be reopened for use.
Adelphi’s Adult Fitness Program will not run this semester and the University’s swimming pool will be closed to recreational swimming for the Fall 2020 semester. However, group fitness classes will continue and offer a mix of in-person and virtual options.
In order to ensure proper physical distancing and comply with New York state’s guidelines, the capacity in CRS facilities will be limited to the following:
- Fitness Center: Reduced capacity of 26, including staff
- Indoor Track: Reduced capacity for recreational use of 20
- Functional Training Studio: Reduced capacity of four
- Racquetball Court (for additional fitness and dance club activities): Reduced capacity of four
- Gymnasium: Reduced capacity of 10 will be allowed on one court at a time for activity, with a limit of three people per basket
Additional Health and Safety Policies
- An acceptable face covering must be properly worn at all times while in CRS. (Bandanas, buffs, gaiters and masks with valves are not considered acceptable.)
- All exercise activities must be conducted with participants at a minimum of six feet apart.
- Recreational locker rooms will not be accessible for general use; please arrive at the facility dressed for physical activity.
- Personal trainers and clients will begin their training sessions virtually for at least 50 percent of their sessions and up to 100 percent of sessions. When meeting in person, face coverings must be worn, and training must take place in designated spaces.
- Fitness Center:
- When visiting the fitness center, please enter from the left (CRS side) and exit through the right (Woodruff Hall side).
- A thermal scanner tablet installed at the entrance of the fitness center will take your temperature—to be allowed entry, you must have a forehead temperature of less than 100.4 and a negative COVID-19 electronic screening on the AU2GO app.
- Individuals who screen positive for COVID-19 symptoms will not be allowed to enter the fitness facility/recreation activity and will be instructed to contact their healthcare provider for assessment and testing.
- Check-in will be done by a touchless method of scanning your physical ID card or having your digital (phone) ID scanned by a staff member.
- Wash or sanitize your hands before entering the fitness center.
- Please bring your own towel for use in the fitness center.
- Time limits for equipment have been established to ensure equitable use.
- The middle lane of the indoor track will be blocked off to allow for physical distancing; please use inside and outside lanes only.
- Gymnasium: Only the two end basketball hoops will be available to allow for ample physical distance. Singles badminton and table tennis may also be played.
Please wipe down equipment after use with disinfecting wipes located on the fitness floor in designated areas, and follow any signage on equipment that indicates whether it has been disinfected by a member of the Campus Recreation staff. (GREEN indicates equipment has been disinfected and ready to use; RED indicates equipment that is awaiting disinfection.)
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Center for Recreation and Sports and to helping our Panthers stay healthy and fit. You can find additional detailed information about the CRS reopening and new protocols and procedures in the Adelphi University Guide for Returning to the Center for Recreation and Sports.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to our Campus Recreation team at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about health, wellness and COVID-19 safety, please email email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for keeping our community safe as you make the most of our fitness facilities.
Chief Administrative Officer and Associate Vice President
Director of Athletics and Campus Recreation