Moodle 2.7 is set to launch on July 2. Faculty are invited to try out the new templates and attend FCPE workshops.
Moodle 2.7 is set to launch on July 2—just before 2015 Summer Session II classes begin. We invite all faculty to try out the new mobile-friendly templates from any device or computer accessing campus wireless via faculty.adelphi.edu/moodle27.
What Does This Mean For You?
If you’re teaching in Summer II or the Fall and have not begun building your courses in Moodle, your course shells will be automatically updated to the latest template.
If you have already begun to make edits to your Moodle courses for Summer II and Fall, your course shells will remain the same. You will have the option to update your courses to the new version whenever you like, and we encourage you to do so—this new template will look a little differently than you’re used to, but makes adding and displaying content for your students so much easier!
- Responsive Design: New theme adapts and enhances content for the viewing environment—including phones, tablets and laptops. You will have a similar look and feel on any device!
- Google Drive: Allows users to access their Google Drive files from within Moodle’s file-picker area.
- TurnItIn: Provides a more integrated experience within Moodle.
- Activity Completion: Allows instructors to set completion criteria in a specific activity’s settings.
- Enhanced Quiz Making: Duplicating and moving questions is now easier, and there is an option to ‘Save changes and continue editing’. Quiz reports have been improved and the Essay question now allows students simply to add an attachment with no accompanying text.
- Badges: A nice way of celebrating achievement and showing progress. Badges may be awarded based on a variety of criteria.
- Quickmail: Now allows choice between zipping all files or allowing individual file attachments when sending email. This was an improvement requested by Adelphi’s Faculty Senate.
- HTML Blocks: These freeform blocks can be used to embed social media, Google Hangouts, videos and more.
- VoiceThread: This interactive collaboration and sharing tool is now better integrated within Moodle.
Workshops and Training
To give faculty a preview of updated features—while also covering relevant teaching topics—the FCPE will be holding the following workshops. Topics covered will include collaborative activities in Moodle, integrating multimedia, and a tour of the new and improved environment.
Introduction to Moodle 2.7 and VoiceThread
Monday, July 6, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Tuesday, July 7, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Webinar*)
Tuesday, July 7, 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
*The webinar will be conducted online. A link will be sent out to registered participants in advance of the webinar. It will also be recorded and archived for future viewing.