Dear Adelphi Community,
Following extensive conversations with members of the Adelphi community and consideration of public health recommendations, we’re writing to update you on our plans for the Winter and Spring 2021 terms, including changes planned for Spring Break.
As a reminder:
- Winter Intersession will take place from Monday, January 4, to Friday, January 22, 2021. Classes will be taught in a variety of formats.
- The Spring 2021 semester will begin as planned on Tuesday, January 26, 2021, and end as planned on Thursday, May 20, 2021. Courses will be offered in a mixture of in-person, hybrid and online modalities. Through open planning and course registration, students will be able to select courses with knowledge of the intended methods of delivery.
Changes to Spring Break
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we will be eliminating any extended breaks, including Spring Break in March, to discourage travel followed by a return to campus.
We recognize that our students and faculty need breaks throughout the semester to refresh and recharge, as well as catch up on academic projects. We have scheduled five nonconsecutive days off throughout the semester. On these days, the University will remain open but classes will not be held. These dates are:
- Wednesday, March 10
- Thursday, April 1
- Friday, April 16
- Monday, May 3
- Tuesday, May 11
The full schedule is now available on the Academic Calendar.
Preparing for Early-Quarantine Arrangements
Residential students returning to campus for the spring semester will have to abide by the travel restrictions imposed by New York state, including early-quarantine requirements. Adelphi University is committed to supporting students in meeting this requirement in a convenient way. Students arriving from an impacted state will be required to arrange an early arrival between Tuesday, January 5, and Thursday, January 7, 2021, and complete one of the following three early-quarantine options:
- On campus (at no charge with campus meals delivered; limited rooms available)
- Off campus in a hotel at which the University has reserved rooms for students (at no charge with daily allotment for food)
- Off campus with friends, family or alternative arrangements (at your own expense)
Remaining Safe in the Semester Ahead
In the semester ahead, all existing COVID-19 safety precautions, including social distancing, mask-wearing and symptom monitoring, will remain in place as long as public health guidelines require or suggest them as a best practice.
Thank you for your commitment to making Adelphi a healthy community in spite of the unprecedented challenges we’ve faced. We are extremely gratified by the strong spirit of positivity and the exemplary resilience of our faculty and students and all who support them. These great qualities have enabled us to experience an engaging, rewarding fall semester thus far, and we look forward to continued success together.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us at executiveleadership@adelphi.
Steve Everett, DMA
Provost and Executive Vice President
R. Sentwali Bakari, PhD
Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students