Welcome to the start of a new semester at Adelphi. Learn about all the tech at your fingertips.
Welcome to the start of a new semester at Adelphi University. The Office of Information Technology is continually working with other campus departments to enhance technology services for the Adelphi community. As we work on more projects throughout the Fall 2015 semester, we wanted to keep you up to date on changes that were implemented during the summer.
We encourage you to use all of the resources available to you at Adelphi. See our Technology Services Catalog to explore a hundred different listings.
IT Help Desk Extended Hours & Workshops
Located on the 2nd floor of Swirbul library, the IT Help Desk has expanded its hours of availability for live tech support and equipment loans to align with the new opening time of Swirbul at 7:30 a.m. on weekdays. See a complete listing of Help Desk hours.
We’ve also been preparing for Fall Technology Workshops on new topics and others that are back by popular demand: Google Apps, Panopto, VoiceThread, 3D Printing, MS Office, Info Security and more. Register today!
Device Charging Stations
Working together with the SGA, IT acquired and installed seven new power charging stations. See locations.
Mobile App Updates
- Added MyHousing function to AU2Go to make housing requests more accessible.
- Three new channels have been added that allow you to receive push notifications for Tech Announcements, Center for Student Involvement and Campus Recreation.
The Moodle 2.7 upgrade launched this summer on July 2. New features include responsive design for tablets and phones, new course templates, Google Drive integration, enhanced VoiceThread integration and more. For additional details see: Faculty Moodle Assistance or Student Moodle Support Videos.
Stop by the 3D Printing Studio on the 1st floor of Swirbul Library to see some of the projects (big and small) that have been printed over the past year. You can also follow the action from Adelphi’s 3D Studio on Instagram. To discuss possibilities for how to use 3D technology for your class, make an appointment with one of our studio consultants.
In addition to standard cable television service, resident students now have access to HBO GO for instant streaming of more than 2,000 shows and hit movies on supported devices.
Software Imaging and Hardware Upgrades
- Re-imaged lab and lounge computers at all Adelphi locations with the latest Windows updates and upgraded Microsoft Office 2013.
- Installed a four-unit computer lab with printer in Swirbul 329.
- Upgraded computers in Hagedorn 110, Swirbul 100 and Manhattan 270.
- Upgraded laptops in the cart located in Harvey Hall Room 104
- Upgraded the computers in the Hudson Valley Center Computer Lab.
- Updated student and faculty loaner laptops at the Help Desk.
Multimedia Upgrades and New Spaces
- Renovated and converted the Hay Lab into a collaborative classroom featuring an AV system, laptops, a printer, flexible tables and chairs, chat boards, and a hearing loop system.
- Replaced projection screens in a dozen classrooms throughout the campus.
- Installed a multimedia system for the Anthropology department in Science.
- Installed a multimedia system for the Art and Art History department in Blodgett.
- Upgraded sound system for the pool area in Woodruff.
- Upgraded the podiums in Science 215 North and 215 South with height-adjustable lecterns.
- Upgraded the video and audio systems in the Campbell Lounge in the Center for Recreation and Sports including replacement of all projectors with lampless units (green initiative), installation and tuning of the audio systems for all four rooms, programming of additional controls for ease of use and room combinations, and installation of additional video source locations to reduce setup times.
- Replaced large venue projector in UC ballroom with brighter high-definition lampless projector (green initiative) and upgraded the audio system.
Launched new and redesigned websites for:
- Office of the President
- Office of the University Registrar
- Department of Public Safety and Transportation
- Sustainable Adelphi
- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- Institute for Parenting
- Health and Wellness
- Adelphi Votes
- Getting Started at Adelphi
- Site Search, Course Search, and Personnel and Department Directory
A new Intranet site was also launched for Facilities Management.
Wireless coverage has been expanded at the Manhattan Center and upgrades have been made in Chapman Hall, the Center for Recreation and Sports, Woodruff Hall and the Alice Brown Early Learning Center.
eCampus Service Changes
Apple discontinued iTunes U private sites and disable all access to private sites as of September 1, which affects Adelphi’s instance of iTunes U. Many faculty are already using Panopto to record digital course resources and we encourage others to try this service to meet their needs.
We’ve got How-to Videos for many of Adelphi’s online services on the Technology at Adelphi University YouTube Channel, with more being added throughout the semester.