Keep your online communications secure to keep your identity safe.
When Shopping Online or Entering Confidential Data
- HTTP vs. HTTPS: Look for “https” in the browser address bar and the security lock icon in the bottom right corner.
- VeriSign: Make sure that the website you are entering your information on protected by VeriSign.
- Identity theft Prevention:
- SSL – Secure Socket Layer
- WEP – Wireless Encryption Protocol
- SSH – Secure Shell
- Do not automatically display or run scripts.
- Do not download files unless you know what they contain.
- If possible, avoid HTML based email; only click to display the HTML format if you trust the sender.
- Viruses can forge email addresses.
- Adelphi’s Office of Information Technology deters approximately 150,000 email threats per day (about 80%-90% of the daily messages that come through our servers).
- Adelphi IT recommends Firefox and Chrome browsers. Ensure that your browser is up to date with the latest version and regularly apply security patches.
- “Trusted Sites” setting should be kept to a minimum
- “Active X” Controls are often not necessary
- Always use Encryption.
- Hot Spots: Do not use financial or sensitive information or send passwords across public wi-fi hot spots.
- Go to wireless connectivity instructions for Adelphi.