Unpaid Leave of Absence
Note: This is for a leave other than Family and Medical Leave
The University will consider requests for personal Leaves of Absence without pay in certain exceptional circumstances, at its sole discretion. Approved personal leaves of absence are without pay and for a maximum duration of four (4) weeks. Personal leaves may only be granted by the Office of Human Resources, with the concurrence of the Department Head/Dean.
All full-time, non-union employees are covered. Leaves of Absence for union employees are covered in the applicable collective bargaining agreement.
When an employee wishes to apply for a personal leave of absence, he/she must submit a Leave of Absence Request Form.
The completed request form must be approved by the employee’s immediate Supervisor, Dean or Department Manager, and the Office of Human Resources. Leaves of Absence are not considered approved until written approval from the Office of Human Resources is received.
Employees covered under the University’s group medical and/or dental policy must pay 100% of the premiums by check while out on a personal leave of absence. Employees covered for any contributory life insurance and/or contributory long-term disability insurance must pay the premiums by personal check while out on a personal leave of absence. Employees participating in one of the pre-tax health care, dependent care or transportation accounts, must reelect contribution accounts upon return from the leave. Employees must first exhaust all of their vacation and personal time prior to taking a leave of absence.
- When an employee wishes to apply for a personal leave of absence, he/she must submit a Leave of Absence Request Form. This request must be approved by the employee’s immediate Supervisor, Dean or Department Manager, and the Office of Human Resources. Leaves of Absence are not approved until written approval from the Office of Human Resources is received.
- Upon receipt of the Leave of Absence Request Form, the immediate Supervisor, Dean or Department Manager, and the Office of Human Resources should consider the effects the absence will have upon the operation of the department.
- Reasons for requesting a Personal Leave of Absence must be given in detail by the employee on the leave of absence request form.
- The University reserves the right to require documentation for personal leaves of absence.
- If the leave is approved by the Office of Human Resources, a copy of the form, accompanied by a completed Payroll Transaction Form must be sent to the Office of Human Resources for processing. No Leave of Absence will be effective without the approval of the Office of Human Resources.
- To allow sufficient time for the necessary approvals to be given, employees who apply for a Leave of Absence should, if possible, give a minimum of two weeks advance notice prior to the effective date the leave is to begin.
- Since Personal Leaves of Absences are without pay, the employee must pay full premiums for medical, life insurance, etc. that will be due during the Leave of Absence. Failure to pay such premiums will result in termination of coverage and the employee will, upon return from the Leave of Absence, be required to provide proof of insurability before the insurance will be reinstated.
- All vacation time and personal days must be used prior to taking a Leave of Absence. No vacation, sick or personal time is accrued during such leave. No holiday pay is earned during the leave.
- Failure of an employee to return to work on the first work day immediately following a leave of absence will result in the termination of the employee’s employment. Failure of an employee to report to work during a non-approved Leave period will result in the termination of the employee’s employment.
- Although every attempt will be made to re-employ an employee who has been on a leave of absence, it is not possible to guarantee reemployment.
- Absences for personal Leave should be reported on the timesheet as “PL”.
- See Family and Medical Leave Act Policy.