Virtual collaboration tools can enhance the student learning experience.
At Adelphi, we use Google Hangouts, Adobe Connect and Skype to facilitate virtual class discussions, connect with guest speakers, hold virtual office hours. All three platforms allow you to communicate using video and audio chat as well as share materials such as Power Point presentations, and images.
What are the benefits of using Virtual Classrooms?
Expand the four walls of the course—faculty can bring in guest speakers from around the globe
- Encourage student collaboration—students can easily collaborate at times that work for them without regard to geographical distance. This also frees up class time for other activities.
- Allow for flexible office hours—faculty can meet with students while at home or on the road
- Provide continuity by allowing classes to go on, even if circumstances prevent that from happening in person
- Foster collaboration by sharing screens and documents among students and classmates
Virtual Classroom Platform Comparison
|Google Hangout||Adobe Connect||Skype|
|Maximum number of participants||10||100||2*|
|Browser based vs. Software based||Browser||Browser||Software|
* Paid version increases to 10 participants
You’ll want to ask yourself the following questions:
- How long will the virtual class run?
- How often will you be meeting in your virtual classroom? (ie- one time only, once a week?)
- How many people will be participating?
- How many people outside of the video class will be watching?
- Do you want to record and archive your virtual session?
- Will you be sharing any files or multimedia within the virtual class?
- Will you be collaborating on any documents during the virtual class?
- IT Equipment Loan (borrow a webcam or USB headset)
Teaching Project Highlights:
2 Great Links with Ideas for Video-Conferencing and Education
- 12 Ways to Connect, Create, and Collaborate Using Google Hangouts
- 32 Tips For Using Google+ Hangouts In The Classroom
To schedule an appointment on how to use any of these tools, please fill out the the 1-on-1 Request Form.