Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
An HRA is a spending account funded entirely by Adelphi that can reduce your eligible health care expenses once your flexible spending account, if enrolled, has been exhausted.
An HRA is a great way to help stretch your budget, because you pay for eligible health care expenses with money that is not considered wages—so it is not subject to income taxes.
Any funds that are not used at the end of the benefit year will carry over to the next year for a maximum of 2 years.
How Does an HRA Work?
- Adelphi contributes to your HRA: $400 Individual or $750 Family.
- Use your HRA debit card to pay for eligible health care expenses. Funds are automatically deducted from your HRA.
- Keep the HRA amounts in mind when planning annual Health Care Flexible Spending Account goal amounts.
- Funds are available on the first day of the plan year.
Who Is Covered by the HRA?
If you are covered by Adelphi’s medical plan with Cigna, you can use the HRA to pay eligible health care expenses for yourself, your spouse and your dependents.
What Expenses are Covered by the HRA?
The HRA is used to pay for eligible health care expenses not paid by insurance. Sample eligible expenses include:
- Copayments (office, specialists, and ER visits), deductibles (amount that must paid before claims are covered), and coinsurance (shared payment of the claim)
- Dental care
- Eye exams, glasses and contacts
- Laser eye surgery
- Over-the-counter medical supplies
How Do Health FSA and HRA Coordinate?
If you have both Health FSA and HRA plans you will be issued one Visa Debit Card for both accounts. WageWorks will coordinate claim reimbursement of eligible Medical Expenses between the two accounts as follows:
- Unused Health FSA elections from the prior plan year, subject to the Annual Grace Period (March 15), will pay for Eligible Medical Expenses first until the end of the Annual Grace Period, followed by Employee Health FSA elections, followed by Employer Credits to the HRA plan.
- Dependent Care and Commuter FSAs are not affected by or coordinated with the HRA.
How Do I Enroll in the HRA?
You are automatically enrolled in the HRA account if you are covered by the Adelphi medical plan with Cigna. This benefit is not available to employees covered by EmblemHealth.
Where Can I Learn More about the HRA?
- To request new or additional Visa Debit Cards call WageWorks 1-800-678-6684 to speak with an HRA specialist. Or visit the WageWorks website for 24/7 access to HRA/FSA personal account information and current balance and claim history.
- Online employee self-service. Employees have 24/7 access to their HRA/FSA participant website: personal account information, current balance and claim history.