Greek Life & Social Fellowship Speaker: Victoria Alexander
Join the Greek Life & Social Fellowship community for a keynote address from Victoria Alexander.
What do we mean, “Values Based Organizations”? Race, class, gender, and sexuality in Fraternity and Sorority Life
Fraternities and sororities have a long and storied history. Some aspects are positive and worth accolades. Others are marked by exclusion, hate, and vitriol. We can’t tell the stories of our organizations, or fully understand our groups without a full picture of the history of race, class, gender, and sexuality in fraternity and sorority life. Let’s move past the information on the website and in the new member Education pamphlet, shall we?
As a result of attending this program, students will:
- Gain a greater understanding of the historical relationships between privilege, identity, bias, discrimination, and fraternity/sorority life specifically as it relates to race, class, gender, and sexuality
- Become more familiar with each National Council/Umbrella organization
- Understand and honor the culturally based fraternal experience
- Acknowledge the discriminatory history of many fraternal organizations
- Recognize the impact of stereotype threat phenomenon
- Locate ways privilege, bias, and discrimination continue to permeate the fraternity/sorority experience
- Identify means to generate welcoming and affirmative spaces for all students who seek membership in fraternities and sororities