Certificate Series on LGBTQ Relevancy: Navigating Mental Health in the LGBTQ Community for Counselors
This is part four of a four-part post-graduate certificate series. Only participants who complete all four will be eligible for the post-graduate certificate.
This workshop presents counseling topics to explore with LGBTQ individuals as well as the do’s and don’ts about gathering a client history and engaging in therapy with LGBTQ individuals.
Participants will learn:
- A greater understanding in how to create an affirming environment within your own therapeutic space
- A full review of the “Do’s and Don’ts”; Questions clinician can and should ask to explore a client’s identity in a helpful way
- Understanding the ways in which sexual orientation and gender identity impact mental health, including gender dysphoria in the DSM 5
- A greater understanding of Gender Dysphoria and how to help clients identify coping skills to manage it
- How to check our own biases of the LGBTQ community
About the Speaker
As LGBTQ Services Coordinator of Pride for Youth, Maria Demauro, LMSW oversees all programmatic aspects of the Coffeehouse, TransAction, Queer Connect and LUSH programs. Demauro oversees the Pride for Youth counseling program and carries a caseload of individuals and families. Additionally, as a part of Pride for Youth’s renowned Community Education program, Demauro facilitates workshops in middle schools, high schools and colleges across Long Island on the topics of Understanding Sexual Orientation and Understanding Gender, which help to create safe spaces in an ever-increasing number of school and agency settings. On behalf of Pride for Youth, Demauro serves as a representative on the New York State LGBTQ Health and Human Services Network, which seeks to gain opportunity for LGBT Services Agencies across New York State.