Can Castles Competition
Student Organizations/departments will collect non perishable items and create structures out of full cans of food/boxes which will then be donated to local food banks such as Mary Brennan Inn and our Panther Pantry.
Rules: On March 23rd SCE will email organizations a designated location in front of the UC to bring their materials between the hours 10:00am – 11:30 am. The day of the event the organization’s locations will be clearly marked. “Castle” building will take place from 12:00pm-12:30pm. At 12:30pm, “time” will be called, and all building MUST come to a stop whether all items were used or not.
- You will have 30 minutes (timed by SCE) to build. Please understand this is not a perfect world and we might not start exactly at 12pm. Regardless, you will have 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes are up, judges will judge the castles on creativity, structure, and how many cans were used.
- Accepted: Cans, Pasta (mac and cheese included, pasta sauce, granola bars, water, etc.) Only canned and boxed food can be used to build castles. The food items must be non-perishable. Packs of multiple items (canned goods, boxed items) will count as the number displayed on the box. Bulk items cannot be opened.
- Not allowed: No glass
SCORING: Winners will be selected in the following categories:
- Which organization constructed the most creative castle or structure (based off a rubric from outside judges)
- Which organization brought the most cans/items.
- Which organization brought outside materials to represent their organization within their structure.
Winners will get $100 donated to a philanthropy of their choice. Second place will get $50 towards their philanthropy.
It can be cold dress appropriately for the weather! Rain location will be in the Campbell Lounges