The Transportation Reimbursement Incentive Program (TRIP)
The Transportation Reimbursement Incentive Program (TRIP) allows you to save money on the cost of qualified transportation expenses to and from work.
TRIP contributions are taken directly from your pay before federal, most state and city income and social security taxes are deducted.
Two Categories of Eligible Transportation Expenses:
- Transit (bus, ferry, train, metro) passes or vanpooling expenses
- Parking expenses
You can participate in either or both of these accounts simply by completing a TRIP enrollment form. The program provides reimbursements for transit passes (metro and railroad passes), vanpooling and parking expenses incurred for commuting between work and an employee’s residence.
Each year you are required to make a new election for the following year.
- You must enroll (or re-enroll) in the TRIP by completing the online enrollment. You may discontinue this plan at any time, not only during this annual enrollment period.
- The maximum contribution per month is $265 for public transit or vanpooling expenses and $265 per month for parking expenses.
- Only expenses for services that you incur during a calendar month while you are an active participant are eligible for reimbursement from your TRIP Accounts. This means that for each month you participate in a TRIP account, you can use the TRIP to pay for services incurred only during that month provided you were enrolled in the plan at the time the expense was incurred.
- To receive reimbursement from the TRIP public transit and TRIP parking expenses, all Transit and/or Parking purchases must be made with the Wage Works debit card.
- All participants will ONLY be able to use their Transit and/or Parking Debit Card for the amount they have available in their account at time of use. To manage your account online please visit your WageWorks spending account. If you are a new user click on “New Users – Register Here” and follow prompts.
For additional information regarding the plan or eligible expenses, please go to the WageWorks website at WageWorks spending account or call to speak to a representative at 888.557.3156.