Deepening our commitment to our community, ensuring a welcoming and healthy campus environment, and strengthening ties with alumni, our region, and the wider world.
Momentum 2 embraces and fosters relationships among the Adelphi community and with our greater community–maximizing our shared values and purpose.
A relentless focus on student success, determination to become a model of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and resolve to establish stronger connections locally and regionally have been at the center of our efforts throughout Momentum. They will continue to guide us over the next five years.
Here are some of the ways we are achieving this goal.
Five Major Initiatives
1. Corporate, Community and Government Relations
As one of just 119 colleges and universities in the nation to earn the 2020 Carnegie Community Engagement Classification, we will expand our hallmark commitment to civic engagement and service learning by continuing to be an integral partner to our region, its communities and nonprofit organizations. We also will grow and expand our connections with private organizations and public officials to ensure Adelphi’s continued contributions to, and benefit from, economic, cultural and social initiatives. We will:
- Create advisory boards focused on building new internship and job opportunities for students, heightening Adelphi’s reputation, and fostering best practices in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Build a strong community and corporate partners program to expand our existing affiliations in the healthcare fields, the arts, business, and the media.
2. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging
Students, faculty and staff members of all backgrounds, belief systems and individual expressions will feel welcome and valued, with equal access to the opportunities and support they need to succeed at Adelphi and beyond. We will:
- Increase our efforts to recruit and retain students from underrepresented communities, introduce bridge programs, expand multilingual engagements with students and their families, and improve the diversity of our curriculum.
- Expand our diversity, equity and inclusion programming for our community and external community partners through new workshops, educational opportunities, film festivals and podcast series.
- Increase hiring, support and retention of diverse faculty and staff and develop new affinity groups.
- Shift from an Emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) to a Designated HSI.
3. Connected Community of Alumni, Employees and Students
By celebrating the Adelphi experience that connects us all, we will further strengthen the ties between and among our University, students, faculty, staff and alumni. We will:
- Strengthen connections within the Adelphi community by promoting school pride through a compelling brand program and new and growing alumni chapters and affinity groups.
- Develop best-in-class alumni and family relations programs to enrich lifelong engagement with the University and grow philanthropy.
- Continue to grow the ways we share Adelphi’s success and pride.
4. Unrivaled Student Experience
In an environment of respect, inclusion, access, and opportunity, the Adelphi experience will help students maximize their potential and achieve their goals. We will:
- Provide more avenues for our community to explore Adelphi’s inclusive and affirming environment with a new Multicultural Center with dedicated programming.
- Continue to enrich our many career preparation options and curriculum to support successful student outcomes.
- Promote and advance holistic student health and wellbeing and develop strategies to identify students needing early intervention.
- Improve student retention and graduation through holistic advising, early intervention, streamlined student services, and emergency financial aid programs.
5. Health, Safety and Wellness of Our Community
As leaders in their fields, our health, wellness and safety experts will remain agile and alert to evolving public health and social landscapes. We will:
- Expand programming to promote health, safety and wellness, with comprehensive environmental health training and increased telehealth mental health services.
- Develop new crime prevention and safety initiatives to continue and enhance our status as one of the safest campuses in the country.