Full Course of Study Requirements
International students are required to enroll in a “full course of study” each semester.
This includes 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students. Students wishing to enroll in less than a full course of study must meet the appropriate requirements and be authorized by International Services prior to the drop below a full course of study. If the student does not gain authorization from International Services prior to the drop below a full course of study of the student will be considered out of status.
A student may be eligible to file for a reduced course load if authorized by the DSO for one of the following reasons:
- Illness or Medical Condition
- Initial Difficulty with English Language, Initial Difficulty with Reading Requirements, Unfamiliarity with American Teaching Methods, Improper Course Level Placement in students first semester
- To Complete Course of Study in Current Term
Illness or Medical Reduced Course Load
The DSO may authorize a reduced course load (or, if necessary, no course load) due to a student’s temporary illness or medical condition for a period of time not to exceed an aggregate of 12 months while the student is pursuing a course of study at a particular program level. I am including the necessary requirements below for a medical leave of absence.
The student is required to provide current medical documentation to request the medical exemption to full-time status, and the DSO must reauthorize the drop below full course of study each new semester. Students who have previously been authorized to drop below a full course of study due to illness or medical condition for an aggregate of 12 months, will not be eligible to be authorized for an additional exemption. Students can file for a medical leave of absence through the International Services Portal.
Student must request medical reduced course load and include medical documentation to substantiate the illness from a licensed:
- Medical Doctor
- Doctor of Osteopathy
- Clinical Psychologist
The letter from your health care provider must contain:
- The duration of treatment prior to request
- Plans for treatment during period of leave (if appropriate)
- A positive recommendation that the leave is necessary for medical reasons.
Adelphi University retains the right to obtain supplemental medical information.
To Complete Course of Study in Current Term
The DSO may allow an F-1 student to engage in less than a full course of study in order to complete your academic program during the requested current term. If you are not required to take any additional courses to satisfy the requirements for completion, but continue to be enrolled for administrative purposes, you will not be eligible for a reduced course load, considered to have completed your course of study and must take action to maintain status. Such action may include application for change of status or departure from the U.S. If the student drops below a full course of study without the prior approval of the DSO and an authorized reduced course load, the student will be considered out of status.
Students wishing to request a reduced course load to complete your course of study in the final term must meet the following requirements:
- The student must be enrolled in at least one required class
- The reduced course load must consist of the following:
- Undergraduate Students: at least 6 credits
- Graduate Students: at least 4.5 credits
- Approval from the Academic Department indicating you are enrolling in the required academic credits necessary to graduate
In order to request authorization for a reduced course load, please log into the International Services Portal located in your eCampus account, and complete the application for a reduced course load. Authorization must be granted prior to the drop below full time.