Full Course of Study Requirements
International students are required to enroll in a “full course of study” each academic semester in order to maintain valid status associated with their student visa. A student who drops below a full course of study without the prior approval of the DSO will be considered out of status.
|Full Course of Study||Credits|
|Academic English Language Training||18 Clock Hours|
|Masters Accelerator Program Students||12 – 13 Contact Hours and 3 – 6 Credits|
|Advanced Masters Accelerator Program Students||13 Contact Hours and 6 Credits|
|Academic Accelerator Program Students||13 – 16 Contact Hours and 10 – 13 Credits|
|Extended Accelerator Program Students||13 – 19 Contact Hours and 3 – 13 Credits|
||12 Undergraduate Credits|
||9 Graduate Level Credits|
||9 Graduate Credits|
Degree-Seeking Academic Level: F-1 students enrolled in a degree-seeking program, are allowed to count no more than the equivalent of one class or three credits per semester toward the full course of study requirement if the class is taken online or through distance education and does not require the student’s physical attendance for classes, examination or other purposes integral to the completion of the class.
Academic English of Pathway Academic Level: F-1 students enrolled in pathway or language training programs which include (EAP, AAP, MAP, AMAP) are not allowed to count on-line or distance education courses toward a student’s full course of study requirement.
Full Course of Study Exemptions
Students wishing to enroll in less than a full course of study must meet the appropriate requirements and be authorized by International Services prior to the drop below a full course of study.
- Meet all requirements and provide all requested documents prior to the drop below a full course of study.
- A reduced course load must consist of at least six credits, or half the clock hours required for a full course of study.
- A student who drops below a full course of study without the prior approval of the DSO will be considered out of status.
- Approval from the Academic Department
- Authorization from International Services
- Completion of the request to reduce the full course of study requirement for the identified semester.
- If the student does not gain authorization from International Services prior to the drop below a full course of study of the student will be considered out of status.
Reduced Course Load to Complete Program in Final Term
The DSO, located in International Services, may authorize a reduced course load in the student’s final semester if fewer courses are needed to complete the course of study. If the student is not required to take any additional courses to satisfy the requirements for completion, but continues to be enrolled for administrative purposes, the student is considered to have completed the course of study and must take action to maintain status. Such action may include an application for change of status or departure from the U.S.
Full Course of Study Exemption in Final Semester Requirements
At least of of your enrolled classes is required for your degree
The reduced course load must consist of the following based on your academic level:
- Undergraduate Students: at least 6 credits
- Graduate Students: at least 4.5 credits
- You have received a degree audit and authorization from your academic advisor or program director determining you will be satisfying all degree requirements in your final semester.
- You are registered for all outstanding academic requirements
- You have not previously been authorized for a full course of study exemption to complete your program in your final semester.
Full Course of Study Exemption Process for Students
Students planning to request authorization for a full course of study exemption, necessary to maintain valid F-1 status while enrolled in fewer than necessary credits, must complete the “Reduced Course Load Exemption” request using the International Services Portal. This portal can also be accessed through your eCampus account. Please know that if you drop below a full course of study without the prior approval of the DSO and an authorized reduced course load, you will be considered out of status.
Medical Leave of Absence
The DSO may authorize a reduced course load (or, if necessary, no course load) due to a student’s temporary illness or medical condition for a period of time not to exceed an aggregate of 12 months while the student is pursuing a course of study at a particular program level. During the approved full course of study exemption, the students F-1 status will be considered valid. Authorized medical full course of study exemptions are authorized per academic semester and must be requested and reauthorized by the DSO for the drop below full course of study each new semester.
Medical Leave Full Course of Study Requirements
Student must provide the following requirements to be eligible for a medical full course of study exemption:
- Medical documentation to substantiate the illness from a licensed (1) Medical Doctor, (2) Doctor of Osteopathy, (3) Clinical Psychologist
- The submitted medical documentation must contain: (1) Diagnosis, (2) The duration of treatment prior to request, (3) Plans for treatment during a period of leave, (4) A positive recommendation that the leave is necessary for medical reasons
Medical Leave Process for Students
Return from Medical Leave Process for Students
In order to return from an authorized medical leave, students must submit a letter from a licensed healthcare provider to Academic Services (If possible the letter should be from the same provider who recommended the leave) containing the following:
- Treatment that has taken place during the leave,
- If needed, treatment plans after return from leave any recommended restrictions (i.e., reduced credit load),
- A statement that student is medically able to return to school recommendation regarding student’s ability to return as a student and to function successfully while attending school.