Build your creative teaching voice and learn to inspire a future generation of artists.
Why Earn an MA in Art Education?
Students of art education work to explore and better understand the many roles art can play in education. A master’s in art education will prepare you for a career as a creative art educator in a range of settings from elementary, middle and high schools to museums and community based programs. You can also pursue a position in museums, community-based programs or art studios.
Why Study Art Education at Adelphi?
- Build your career as an art educator in our flexible yet comprehensive blend of online learning and onsite classroom fieldwork, with guided teaching experiences near your location in New York State.
- Learn engaging teaching approaches focused on creativity and interdisciplinary arts and prepare for New York State teaching certification.
- Choose an individualized program pathway with advisement from well-connected and deeply dedicated faculty members who understand artistic development across the lifespan.
90%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2019
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
As a critical component of the program, you will complete in-person fieldwork in a New York K-12 classroom serving as a student-teacher. Our students put their skills into practice in schools and organizations across New York State, including:
Special placements for student teaching abroad are also available.
Applicants should submit the following:
- Completed application and $50 fee
- Official transcripts for all schools attended showing a baccalaureate degree, a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and 30 credit hours in art
- Personal statement/essay addressing why you wish to pursue graduate study in art education at this time
- Two letters of recommendation from professional or academic references
- Artistic portfolio of 15-20 images demonstrating competence in one area of specialization as well as a breadth of studio experience in other media
- GRE or MAT score
A personal interview via phone/video or on campus is recommended to familiarize applicants with program requirements and to gauge applicants’ aptitude for online study in art education.
Please note that this program does not accept international students.