European Board Certified in Preventive Medicine and Public Health, (2005)
Master in Health Services Adminsitration , Florida International University ( Miami, US) (2010)
Master in Public Health , University of Glasgow, UK (1993)
MD , Complutense University , Madrid ( Spain) (1980)
Licenses and Certifications
Licenses and Certifications
2001 Post-Doctoral Associate Fellowship from National Cancer Institute. (“Redes en Accion” Program). University of Miami. School of Medicine. Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Cancer Prevention and Control Division
2015- present . MPH Program Director Assistant Professor in Public Health. College of Nursing and Public Health . Adelphi University. City Garden, NY.
- 2012-2015 Assistant Professor in Public Health. School of Allied Health and Life Sciences. University of West Florida, Pensacola, Florida.
- 2007- 2012: Clinical Assistant Professor, College of Public Health and Social Work, Florida International University, Miami.
- 2001- 2007: Miami Dade County Health Department. Director of Tuberculosis (TB) Surveillance ( 2006-2007) ; Asthma Surveillance Project, Principal Investigator: (2001-2006)
- 1984-1998 Madrid Department of Public Health. Health Secretary. Regional Government of Madrid. (Supervisor Dr. Manuel Onorbe)
1988-1998. Chief of the Disease Prevention Unit.
Director of Reproductive Health Program
1984-88 Primary Health Care Unit. HIV/AIDS Program
- 1983-1984 .Ministry of Health. Department of Primary Health Care Services.
- 1980-1983. Family Practice Physician in a rural area (Avila) and in Madrid , Spain.
Capstone I In Public Health
Capstone II In Public Health
Foundations Of Public Health
Global Health Issues
Principles Of Public Health Practice
Teaching is the art of learning together. I learn more from my students than I can teach them
Health inequalities in minorities, specifically Hispanics and Haitians. Migration and Health . Global Health . The teaching of PH in medical professions
Executive director of International Health Connection (IHC). International Health Connection (IHC) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) charity that aims to provide health care services to those most in need. www.ihcworld.org
- “Menopause in the Madrid Region. Health and Social Aspects.” Questionnaire survey. Technical Document. Madrid Autonomous Region.. ( Spain) 1995.
Padrón-Monedero A; López-Cuadrado T.; Galán I..; Martínez-Sánchez E.; Martin MP; Fernández-Cuenca R.. Effect of comorbidities on the association between age and hospital mortality after fall-related hip fracture in elderly patients. Osteoporosis International, 2017, 28,(5) 1559–1568 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00198-017-3926-2
Tucker C. A. Martin MP ; Jones R.“ Health information needs, source preferences and engagement behaviours of women with metastatic breast cancer across the care continuum: protocol for a scoping review “ (2017) . BMJOpen 2017;7:e013619. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013619 http://bmjopen.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmjopen-2016-013619?ijkey=OkprVqumbauqN24&keytype=ref
Trepka MJ, Martin P; Mavunda K; Rodriguez R; Guoyan Zhang G; Brown . “A pilot asthma incidence surveillance system and case definition: lessons learned” Public Health Reports 2009; (124): 297-279.
Jones R. and members of the European Latin American Public Health . “Lessons Learned in an European-Latin American collaboration for developing postgraduate education in public health”. Network. European Journal of Public Health. 2001; 11: 227-230.
Lopez Martin P. et Stone D. "Epidemiology of Down's Syndrome in a Scottish City". Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology. 1995; 9: 331-40.
Martin, P. “Assessment of the epidemiological impact of maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein screening for Down’s syndrome in Glasgow” (Abstract). J Epid and Com Health. 1993; 47: 405
Bolanos J et Martin. P. "Female Sterilization in Public Health Services in Madrid:1988".Toco-Gynaecology .Pract. 1990; 49,4:203-209.
Martin P. "State of Voluntary Abortions in Madrid: 1987-89." Madrid Region Epidemiological Bulletin, 1990
Martin P., Cano R “Hospital Morbidity Survey”. . Journal of Medical News, ( Madrid , Spain) 1986
American Public Health Association (APHA): 357384, entitled "Perceptions, awareness, and barriers to care regarding obesity and diabetes among African-Americans in Miami and Escambia, Florida . A qualitative study" , Oral presentation (co- author) November 2016 . Denver (CO)
American Public Health Association (APHA). Abstract, 360550, entitled "Perceptions, awareness, and barriers to care regarding obesity and diabetes among Hispanics in Miami and Escambia, Florida .A qualitative study". Poster presentation, November 2016. Denver (CO)
American Public Health Association (APHA): Abstract, 360583, entitled "Perceptions, awareness, and barriers to care regarding obesity and diabetes among Hispanics and African Americans in Miami and Escambia, Florida. A qualitative comparative study. Poster presentation, November 2016. Denver (CO)
American Public Health Association (APHA): “Descriptive and comparative analysis of health status and health care delivery in Haiti and Dominican Republic. Is there any lesson that we can learn? “Accepted as poster presentation. November 2014, New Orleans.
American Public Health Association (APHA): “Does the place where we live matter?: A comparison of social and health indicators of Haitians living in Miami and New York”. Accepted as poster presentation. November 2014, New Orleans.
American Public Health Association (APHA): "Describing the chief complaints in a mobile, primary care clinic in Haiti: Using data to enlighten the knowledge of the burden of non-communicable diseases". Accepted as Oral Presentation. November 2013, Boston
American Public Health Association (APHA): "Transforming medical trips into a significant learning opportunity in global health". Accepted as Oral presentation. November 2013, Boston.
American Public Health Association (APHA) : “Improving Health Care Efficiency in Haiti: Proposal of a Health Policy: Lessons Learned from the Response to a Major Disaster” Poster Presentation .Washington DC, October 2011.
American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) “Public Health in Medical Education I Conference. “An Innovative/ Inter-professional Model to Integrate Public Health in Medical Education” Poster Presentation, October 2010, Cleveland, (OH)
Statewide EPI Seminar. “Implementing an Asthma Incidence Surveillance System for Miami-Dade County: Preliminary Results”. Poster presentation. 2005. Lakeland (FL)
EPI regional Meeting: “Miami Asthma Incidence Surveillance System: Evaluation” Oral presentation. February, 2005. Miami.
IV National Conference on Asthma (CDC) “Implementing an asthma surveillance system: Evaluation of two different methods of enrolling subjects from health care settings in a pilot surveillance system". Oral presentation. April 2004, Atlanta (GA)
III National Conference on Asthma (CDC) .“Implementing and asthma Surveillance system: barriers and challenges”. Round Table. June 2003, Washington.
“The Woman Doctor in the Public Health System in the Madrid Region.” . 1st Annual Conference of Madrid Health Administration Association. Oral Presentation. 1994, Madrid.
- 2017-2018: “Identifying and Addressing the Health Needs of Residents in Central Queens (Queens Borough) “ A qualitative study using focus groups. Faculty Development Grant 2016 .Adelphi University .$ 2,000
- 2013-2014: “Identifying the prevalence, awareness, and barriers to preventive care of obesity and diabetes among African-Americans and Hispanics” External funded by Partnership for Public Health Inc ( Florida non- profit organization.). Amount : $ 7,500
- 2013- 2014: “Geographical differences in the perception and attitudes regarding diabetes and obesity. A comparison between Escambia and Miami- Dade County.” Funded by the Scholarly and Creative Committee at UWF. Amount $ 2,000.
- 2013-2015: “Enhancing pre-conception and infant health education among Hispanics in Escambia County: Train of trainers “. Funded by March of Dimes, Amount: $3,000.
- 2001- 2004 “Implementing and Asthma Surveillance System form Miami-Dade County”. Principal Investigator, Phase II of Grant, 2002- 2004. Co-investigator during Phase I, 2001-2002. Contract agreement from CDC. Amount annually : ~$ 145,000
Founder and Executive Director of International health Connection : providing learning opportunities for PH students
Links provided to external websites, including personal faculty sites, do not imply an endorsement by Adelphi University of those sites, their content, or associated products and services.