J-1 visa requirements for foreign nationals who are a professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments entering the United States for a short-term visit to lecture, observe, consult, train, or demonstrating special skills at Adelphi University.
- Minimum Duration: No minimum
- Maximum Duration: 6 months
The following criteria must be met for the J-1 short term scholar category:
- The program is suitable for the exchange visitor’s background, needs, and experience;
- Scholars are expected to have appropriate academic or similar credentials.
- The exchange visitor possesses sufficient proficiency in the English language
- Possesses adequate financial resources to support an accompanying spouse and dependents, if any.
Request for DS-2019 Procedures
Exchange Visitor Required Processing Fee
Our exchange visitors are responsible to pay the $75.00 J-1 Exchange Visitor Fee.
The following documents must be submitted to International Services for the review and processing for all exchange visitors.
What Should be Submitted by the Academic Institution
- Letter of Invitation from Supporting Dean: Must be on official University letterhead, include
- the short term scholars’ name
- the purpose of coming to Adelphi and respective duties
- program start and completion date
- any costs that will be provided by the University to the scholar.
- The letter must also indicate the supervising faculty representative and contact information.
- Updated CV
- Proof of adequate credentials
- Program description detailing activities scholar will be engaging in including a timeline of events
- English Proficiency Report
What Should be Submitted by the Applicant
- Request for SEVIS DS-2019
- Affidavit of Support completed by the financial sponsor of the exchange visitor indicating a minimum estimate of $1,850 per month of stay is required
- Supporting Financial Documentation:
- An official bank statement in English attesting to the funds available for the financial sponsor listed on the affidavit of support.
- Letter from academic, government, or other sponsor indicating available funds
- Affidavit of Support and Financial Documentation for all dependents, if applicable
- Copy of the exchange visitor’s passport identification page
- Signed insurance guarantee (PDF) and proof of sufficient insurance as per federal regulations
Insurance Coverage Requirements
Proper insurance is required of each exchange visitor and all accompanying spouses and dependents covering sickness or accidents during the time of their exchange visitor program.