A J-1 student is an individual in the United States for the primary purpose of studying at an institution of higher education under the sponsorship of an exchange visitor program.
- Minimum Duration: 3 weeks
- Maximum Duration: Duration of Status
The following criteria must be met for the J-1 student category:
- The student has been admitted to a specific Adelphi University program
- The student intends to engage full time in a prescribed course of study in a formally verified program between Adelphi University and the home university where the student is currently enrolled
- The exchange visitor possesses sufficient proficiency in the English language
Request for DS-2019 Procedures
Exchange Visitor Required Processing Fee
Our exchange visitors are responsible to pay the $75.00 J-1 Exchange Visitor Fee.
What Should be Submitted by the Academic Institution
- Letter of Acceptance or Invitation from Supporting Department:
- This letter must be on official University letterhead and signed by the department head and include: student name, start and completion date, description of program, purpose and major area of study.
- English Proficiency Report signed by an appropriate academic representative indicating adequate English language skills to enable the student to successfully participate in the program and function independently in the community.
What Should be Submitted by the Applicant
- Request for SEVIS DS-2019
- Affidavit of Support
- Supporting Financial Documentation:
- An official bank statement in English attesting to the funds available for the financial sponsor listed on the affidavit of support.
- Letter from academic, government, or other sponsor indicating available funds
- Affidavit of Support and Financial Documentation for all dependents, if applicable
- Copy of the exchange visitor’s passport identification page
- Signed insurance guarantee (PDF) and proof of sufficient insurance as per federal regulations
Insurance Coverage Requirements
Proper insurance is required of each exchange visitor and all accompanying spouses and dependents covering sickness or accidents during the time of their exchange visitor program.