Environmental Studies & Sciences
Use your passion for the environment to help your community.
Getting involved in an environmental organization is one of the best ways to network, learn about local issues, and gain experience. View the following local organizations and see where you would like to get involved:
- Citizens Campaign for the Environment is an advocacy group focusing on public policies affecting the environment.
- Friends of the Bay is an environmental advocacy group that focuses on issues related to the Oyster Bay/Cold Spring Harbor Estuary. Water quality volunteers are needed.
- Great South Bay Audubon Society is located in Sayville, NY and is a chapter of the National Audubon Society. This society focuses on the protection of birds and their habitats.
- Group for the East End is located in Southold. The focus of this group is on environmental advocacy, citizen involvement, and education to preserve the environment of Eastern Long Island.
- LI Planning Council (LIPC) is located in Wantagh. LIPC is an organization focusing on the environment and education to communities of Long Island. View the website for past accomplishments and future goals.
- Long Island Sierra Club is located in Syosset. This organization focuses on conservation through education and helps influence public policy affecting this issue. Be sure to check out the link on the right hand side for outings and meet times.
- Neighborhood Network is located in Farmingdale. This organization looks for professional advocates looking to protect Long Island’s environmental resources.
- NY Public Interest Research Group is NY’s largest student run organization focusing on NY’s environment and related policies in addition to increasing citizen involvement in environmental decision making.
- Operation Splash This nonprofit, all-volunteer organization educates the public and brings volunteers by boat to beaches and wetlands to remove trash and preserve the area’s natural ecosystems.
- Peconic Bay Keeper is located in Quogue. This is an advocacy group focused on the protection of the Peconic Bay.
- Pine Barrens Society is located in Riverhead. The two main goals of this environmental education and advocacy organization are to preserve open space and protect drinking water.
- South Shore Estuary Reserve Council Learn about what is happening in the South Shore Estuary and become involved to help make changes.
- Sustainable Long Island is located in Bethpage. This organization focuses on sustainability and economic development issues related to protection of the environment. There are many ways to get involved.