American Rescue Plan Act
The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021, also known as the COVID-19 Stimulus Package, was signed into law on March 11, 2021.
As part of this $1.9 trillion stimulus funding, higher education institutions are designated to receive one-time grant funds to aid students during the ongoing global health pandemic. This new legislation follows the March 2020 emergency legislation, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, and the December 2020 emergency legislation, the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act.
Under this legislation, Adelphi University has received a disbursement of $7,365,905 in emergency financial assistance for students. According to this legislation, funds must be prioritized to students who have demonstrated exceptional need. Additionally, the Department of Education has encouraged the prioritization of awards to domestic students including citizens, permanent residents, refugees, asylum seekers, DACA recipients, other DREAMers, and similar undocumented students. International students who have exceptional need will also be considered for the limited funding.
Distribution of Grants
The University will utilize the following awarding process as long as funds are available, which prioritizes students with the highest demonstrated need within our community. Students will be required to complete a certification that will be emailed to them in order to receive the grants.
- A one-time grant up to $1,100 will be available to undergraduate students who are Pell-eligible as determined by the most recent 20-21 FAFSA submission, who were registered for at least six credits in spring 2021.
- A one-time grant up to $1,100 will be available to graduate students whose Expected Family Contribution is less than or equal to $5,000 as determined by the most recent 20-21 FAFA submission, who were registered for at least six credits in spring 2021.
- Following the awarding of the above grants, an application process will be made available for remaining eligible domestic and international students of our community, on a first come, first served basis, to apply for grants up to a maximum of $1,000.
Grant Application Details
Selected recipients may apply grants towards:
- One’s cost of attendance, including tuition and fee charges
- Emergency costs related to COVID-19 such as food, housing, healthcare (including mental healthcare) or childcare
For questions or further guidance, please contact executiveleadership@adelphi.