Medical Billing and Coding is one of the fastest-growing careers in the healthcare industry today!
The need for professionals who understand how to code healthcare services and procedures for third-party insurance reimbursement is growing substantially. Physician practices, hospitals, pharmacies, long-term care facilities, chiropractic practices, physical therapy practices, and other healthcare providers all depend on medical billing and coding for insurance carrier reimbursement. The medical industry will have almost 50% more jobs available; therefore, a surplus of medical facilities will continue to hire candidates who specialize in medical billing and coding.
What You Will Learn
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Build medical terms using word parts
- Interpret medical terms
- Describe the various medical specialties
- Recognize medical terms associated with various body systems
- Demonstrate the interconnectedness of body structures
- Communicate effectively in a professional healthcare environment
- Identify the important role of a medical coder in upholding ethical billing practices and in obtaining reimbursement for healthcare services
- Correctly use the ICD-10-CM for diagnostic coding
- Correctly use CPT codes for coding medical procedures
- Apply national and local HCPCS codes and modifiers
- Explain the purpose and use of ICD-10-PCS codes
Optional Volunteer Externship Opportunity
Learners who complete this program are eligible to participate in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. As learners progress through their eLearning program, an Externship Coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement.
Note: Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug-screening, criminal background checks, etc. may be required by the externship facility.
Self-paced online content. Start anytime. Take up to six months to complete.
Who Can Benefit:
Individuals seeking entry-level jobs in the health care field as a medical billing and coding professional.
Professional Certification Options
- After completing this program, learners will have the opportunity to take the leading national/industry-recognized certification exam(s) essential to entry-level employment in this fast-growing field.