cancer support groups provide the opportunity for participants
to share feelings, experiences and knowledge, and gain support
from others who are in a similar situation. There are different
kinds of support groups. The following questions can help you
decide if a support group is for you and which type of group meets
1. Is a support group for me?
2. Do I want a group that is professionally or peer led?
3. Would I prefer a group that meets for a defined period of time
with the same people, or a group that is ongoing with people joining
at different times?
4. Do I want to meet weekly, bi-weekly or monthly?
5. Would I prefer a drop-in group or one where regular attendance
6. Do I want a group just for people with breast cancer or a general
cancer support group?
7. Will I prefer a group that is specific to the stage of illness
(newly diagnosed, post-treatment, advanced cancer) or would I
rather be with people at various stages?
8. Do I want a group that is free or am I willing to pay a fee?
the Adelphi Breast Cancer Hotline at 800.877.8077 for help in
finding a group in your area that meets your needs.
NY Statewide Breast Cancer
Hotline & Support Program
services are free and confidential.