What We Do
Located in Levermore Hall, Room 206, the Office of Marketing and Creative Services (MCS) serves as the University’s in-house marketing department, and is dedicated to developing and implementing integrated strategies to increase Adelphi’s brand awareness.
In collaboration with campus partners, the MCS team develops marketing plans to meet University priorities and goals. The department engages in market research led by staff moderated focus groups as well as more extensive studies with third-party research firms. Each year, the unit engages in a full-scale brand awareness study to evaluate the effectiveness of its branding efforts.
Based on research and an understanding of University priorities, the MCS team implements marketing plans using a variety of tactics, including:
- Publications and advertisements: The office’s team of designers, production artists and copywriters produces a wide range of printed publications, including brochures, flyers, postcards and catalogs that promote Adelphi programs, events and facilities to both internal and external audiences. Our copy and design teams also work together in developing and designing major University-wide publications, including the cultural events calendars, newsletters and viewbooks.
In addition, the team produces advertisements that span media, including radio, Internet and print.
- Social media/Web: The MCS team is responsible for using social media and the Web to enhance the University brand. To meet that need, the team develops and assists in the execution of social media strategy for Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms. Services include working with areas to develop comprehensive content strategies, providing assistance in joining the University's main social media outlets, and working to integrate social media into overall communications plans.
The office also produces a range of Web ads that drive traffic to the University's website, and works with IT to determine content for the University's homepage and other key websites.
- Market research and planning: The MCS team develops marketing plans in collaboration with campus partners to meet University priorities and goals. The department engages in market research led by staff moderated focus groups as well as more extensive studies with third-party research firms. Each year, the unit engages in a full-scale brand awareness study to evaluate the effectiveness of its branding efforts.
- Media buying and placement: To continue moving Adelphi’s brand initiative forward, the Office of Marketing and Creative Services created Black Cat Advertising, LLC, as an in-house advertising agency. This unit is responsible for the University’s media planning and purchasing.
- Photography and digital assets: MCS has extensive experience with photography and digital assets—this includes setting up photo shoots to enhance its image bank, and retouching existing images to enhance their visual impact.
- Visual and messaging consistency: Throughout all of its work, MCS enhances visual and messaging consistency University-wide. Detailed guidelines for our copy and visual standards can be found in the Adelphi University Visual Standards and Editorial Style Manual (PDF). This reference guide was first published in 2002 and was updated in 2015.