Community Computer Coverage (CCC) is a new Levermore Global Scholars initiative that partners with the Life with Literacy (LWL) to achieve the following goals:
- To collect used computers
- To refurbish these computers
- Educate the community
- Distribute/donate these computers in the community
LGS will write letters to and speak with different corporate and public organizations on Long Island and in New York City, asking them to donate old, unwanted computers. LGS will explain the security procedures, the donation process and how contributing to the initiative can be considered for a tax break.
Currently, computer repair for the Life With Literacy (LWL) Internship takes place in the Dept. of Mathematics and Sciences Computer Lab in Alumnae Hall, Room 112. Matt has been working on LWL with the help of some Computer Science (CS)/Computer and Management Information Systems (CMIS) Majors. Once more computers are collected; LGS and Math Majors will work on piecing hardware and installing software.
As an intern with LWL, Matt co-teaches a weekly computer class at the Belmont Race Track. This Initiative hopes to expand LWL efforts and create classes throughout Long Island where adults with little or no computer skills can learn the basics of using computers and their applications.
Last year, LWL donated one computer to a family of a student who graduated at the top of the ten week computer class. This year, LWL and Matt expect to donate at least three computers at the end of the course. Currently, there are twelve computers, some of which are in need of refurbishing, in the classroom where LWL holds its classes. If the program were to expand, an additional set of computers, including monitors, key boards, and mice, would have to be collected.
Points of Interest
- Life With Literacy (LWL) is a small non-profit organization founded in 2004. Despite the organization’s small staff, LWL has been able to achieve many of its goals, among which is teaching a computer literacy program. LWL has donated about twenty computers and currently teaches a class at the Belmont Racetrack, Elmont, NY.
- The Belmont Chaplaincy operates in cooperation with Chaplaincies in approximately 200 other racetracks around the country. They work with the Racetracks grounds, horse staff, and with the community. The Belmont Chaplaincy organizes events for the community and works with the families who will receive the computers.
- LGS Scholar Matt Sanfilippo is a Computer Science major who interns with LWL. As part of his internship Matt repairs computers, coteaches a weekly computer class at the Belmont Race Track, and is writing bilingual computer manuals.