Adelphi is a truly green campus, using only 100% natural, organic techniques to maintain the flora. Our grounds staff who maintain our arboretum are employing the following techniques:
- elimination of all petroleum-based chemical fertilizers;
- utilization of organic fertilizers that are fish and seaweed-based natural nutrients;
- elimination of all chemical herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides;
- utilization of natural pest management methods, such as the use of organic oils and soaps; and
- enrichment of microbes in the soil, an organic process which rehabilitates the soil biology and results in a natural soil aeration process. Once the soil is rehabilitated, we will be able to decrease watering from every day to twice a week.
In addition, the conversion of Motamed Field to an artificial turf surface no longer requires our dependence on “quick fix” chemical solutions to maintain the field of play.