About Adelphi

The Adelphi Seal and Motto


The Adelphi Seal

1869
Adelphi College evolved from Adelphi Academy, which was founded in Brooklyn, New York, in 1869. Vita sine litteris mors est was copied from the seal of the Derby School in England.


1896
The Adelphi University seal was patterned after the Academy's seal, keeping the insignia and date of incorporation, but adding the words "The Truth Shall Make Us Free," and recognizing 1896 as its own date of incorporation.
This design was kept through 1924.


1925
In 1925, Adelphi college severed its financial and academic ties with the Academy. The monogram was changed from "AA" to "AC" and the date changed from 1869 to 1896.


1930
Adelphi moved to Garden City in 1929. The legend "Brooklyn, New York" was replaced by "Garden City, New York."


1963
Adelphi was granted University status. "AU" replaced "AC."



This page was last modified on September 15, 2011.
---
^ Back to Top of Page